Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

O.T...please forgive a Boot.. Jane's 688(i)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: O.T...please forgive a Boot.. Jane's 688(i) Reply with quote

I am brand new to submarine games. [I have been active with Jane's F/A-18 aircraft]. I selected this 'older' game because it was for one (1) boat, and I thought that would be enough challenge for a while !

I recognise the value in resources and am wondering if there is anyplace I can find for this game? For those 'little' things that experience has taught the Salts ?

G

++++++++++++++

I post there here also, since the 'Other Games' Forum seemed a little 'lost in the background noise'

Thanks for your patience

Goat
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janes 688I evolved into Sub Command, which was the forerunner of Dangerous Waters. Tutorial-type docs for DW or SC would, for the most part, be applicable to Janes 688I. For example, the Seawolves 'Blue Book' (available on the downloads page of my site) would be a good start for you.

Hope this helps!

(BTW, Janes F/A-18 is my favorite flight sim Very Happy )
Goat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot ! Yes... I've seen the path of evolution for these games, and I have seen Sub Command on a machine. Considering NO / ZILCH / NADA knowledge nor experience, I took the easiest way. Maybe I'll 'grow' to the higher levels. My Real World experience is on the surface.

Yup.. the Super Bug is the creme de la creme in that subject...

G
Sgian Dubh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing to do is to go fast and shallow.

It makes for an exciting, albeit short, mission Wink

Seriously. I hope you will really enjoy yourself. As a Flight simmer and a Sub driver I find the two as far apart as can be and I enjoy them both for what they uniquely offer.

There are a ton of great people, Subguru being one of the best, on this and a number of related forums. Very helpful and willing to teach anyone nearly anything about naval warfare. They've certainly helped me a bazillion times.

Check out the Bluebook and the TMA guides.

Hope to see you on a dive, if you decide to move ahead with DW.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might i suggest buying dangerous waters so then you can play with a good preportion of the comunity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitan....Jawol... Yes, been thinking that myself, since I know which way the wind is blowing, now. Oooops, 'the current is running'...

No doubt about it, I've had a mountain of entertainment from the Jet... and it remains permanently glued onto the drive of my '98SE/V5 machine, but, I think this is going to be just great for balance.

An old, retired, Sailor ....

Goat
Fish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 688(I)HK, there are still players who play the game as multiplayer.
Goat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I downloaded The Demo for "DW".... Made me glad I am going to try 'crawling' before 'running'

One last O.T. "Q" ... I understand there is an Official Patch for the 688i. I looked high and low for it. Any help...?

Then I'll leave you to your more Advanced Lives... until I can catch-up
goldorak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goat wrote:
Wow... I downloaded The Demo for "DW".... Made me glad I am going to try 'crawling' before 'running'

One last O.T. "Q" ... I understand there is an Official Patch for the 688i. I looked high and low for it. Any help...?

Then I'll leave you to your more Advanced Lives... until I can catch-up

If all you're interested in is a submarine, just buy DW and use only the submarines. You can use missions where only submarines are in, you can play multiplayer missions where there are only submarines, you can play multistation only on submarines etc... really there is no reason whatsoever for not buying DW over 688i hk.
All that you can do in 688i hk you can do in DW.
bishop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldorak wrote:
If all you're interested in is a submarine, just buy DW and use only the submarines. You can use missions where only submarines are in, you can play multiplayer missions where there are only submarines, you can play multistation only on submarines etc... really there is no reason whatsoever for not buying DW over 688i hk.
All that you can do in 688i hk you can do in DW.

Well, for someone who has never played a modern sub sim before, there is one advantage 668(I) has over SC and DW. The 688(I) manual has an excellent 45 page advanced tutorial walkthrough of an entire mission. It takes you literally step by step (or click by click) on how to use BB and NB sonar, radar, ESM, manual TMA, stadimeter, dead reckoning, weapons settings etc, to track and attack a sub, surface ship and land targets. The best thing it gives the newcomer is a grasp of how all the various sensors are used together to get a picture of what is happening around you, which seems to be one of the biggest hurdles faced by first time sub simmers. While SC and DW have tutorials, they are not as clear cut and 'by the numbers' as in 688(I).

IMO it still has the best manual of the 3 games...
Goat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much my take on it, also...Bishop. I am well aware that I have never found a local person to play F/A-18 with because it is so difficult to learn. Watching The DW Demo looks exactly the same !

Anyway I 'own' 688i... and I hope I can find the Official Patch for it. I did find there was a Jane's 688(i) 1.07 (english) patch... but the only place I've found to download it... seems to be a 'pay to join' Site.
bishop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goat wrote:
Anyway I 'own' 688i... and I hope I can find the Official Patch for it. I did find there was a Jane's 688(i) 1.07 (english) patch... but the only place I've found to download it... seems to be a 'pay to join' Site.

You can get the 1.07 patch right from this site, just head to the downloads link from the main page...
Goat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU...... That's a real 'find' for me.

I'll be back when I learn something...

Fair Winds and Following Seas...

G
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: