Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Anyone else dissapointed it will be PTO?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilotxxl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Pacific? Atlantic? Who cares. Reply with quote

What is your problem?

You want a new and good sim or a diverse war arena?

My concern go to the new version and the new level of realism that Ubi would carry to subsim.

Pacific is huge?

Well... then the navigation system and the operational system would be intensified with accurate reprodution of navigational tools and environment (maps, winds, currents, weather vanes, sextant, semi wheels, etc.), the supplies needeed (spare parts, water & food, fuel), and the maintenance and the surveillance of the engines and main storage batteries (Thermometers, tachometers, revolution counters, voltmeters) to prevent malfunctions or overheathing of the engines, and the draining of batteries.

Ventilation, heathing, light systems, diving and surfacing may be modeled with incresing tasks and different levels of cpmplexity.

Training duties and operational exercises must be performed in order to keep the crew in a high state of readiness.

Increasing radio messages and enabling to tune in radio stations and military and naval frequencies will immerse the player into the strategical game.

If Ubi succeds to put 50% of all this in the game, Pacific or Atlantic would be a matter with low importance.
Sulikate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pacific? Atlantic? Who cares. Reply with quote

pilotxxl wrote:
What is your problem?

You want a new and good sim or a diverse war arena?

My concern go to the new version and the new level of realism that Ubi would carry to subsim.

Pacific is huge?

Well... then the navigation system and the operational system would be intensified with accurate reprodution of navigational tools and environment (maps, winds, currents, weather vanes, sextant, semi wheels, etc.), the supplies needeed (spare parts, water & food, fuel), and the maintenance and the surveillance of the engines and main storage batteries (Thermometers, tachometers, revolution counters, voltmeters) to prevent malfunctions or overheathing of the engines, and the draining of batteries.

Ventilation, heathing, light systems, diving and surfacing may be modeled with incresing tasks and different levels of cpmplexity.

Training duties and operational exercises must be performed in order to keep the crew in a high state of readiness.

Increasing radio messages and enabling to tune in radio stations and military and naval frequencies will immerse the player into the strategical game.

If Ubi succeds to put 50% of all this in the game, Pacific or Atlantic would be a matter with low importance.

I think he's got the point: as long as it is the BEST WWII subsim ever, It isn't important whether it's pacific or atlantic:
I'm SURE you'll like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Trout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have the same modable features as Microsoft FLight sim.

MSFS has actually spawned companies that do nothing but aircraft (and damn fine ones too).

I just bought a copy of a C130 Herc that came with a 500 page manual. IT takes half an hour just to start her up and taxi to takeoff!

So imagine what a good modder could do with this game. I would LOVE the challenge of sailing and navigating a sub.

Trout
pilotxxl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, Trout touch a sore spot. If Ubi wish follow the footsteps of MS in MSFS, her problem will be only:

1) model a good an realistic map of the area with the correct shores and the perfect ocean bottom with the correct shallow waters and tipycal ocean currents;

2) identical meteo conditions;

3) a good layout of the ports, buoys, lighthouses, with night and day variances;

4) Only some subs in the main package, well detailed, with complex equipment, making possible to all of us perform the distinct tasks in the various stations with the maximum accuracy;

5) Make possible to produce new subs by the sub community or independent producers:

6) Take a special care when develop AI, putting the right ships in the right place in the right time in accordance with the campaign;

7) Diferent kind of ships, Cargo (light, medium, heavy), Sub rescue vessels, Minesweepers, Hospital, Coastal, Tug, Sampan, Barracks (non-propelled), and so on.
Wulfmann

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that SH3 taxes most machines today and by next year most customers will not have made huge upgrades one must assume SH4 will be a SH3 improved game of sorts.
Therefore doing the Atlantic would have no profit appeal.

The next Atlantic version would require a decent techno leap to warrant trashing SH3.

The Pacific will then create more fresh interest but UBI would be wise to include a nice NA upgrade to SH3 in this SH4 package satifying both camps.

I can play the cyber role of any side so don't get the can't torpedo an English ship idea. This just puts us in a position others served in and with the anti-Nazi Kriegsmarine few should worry of being cast as on the dark side. IMO

My father was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed and I would have no problem doing the mini sub sneaking in to sink his ship.
It is a game, hello!!

The US subs could not take the pounding German subs could nor dive as deep but the Jap subs are super fragile compared to the yank boats and dive times are long enough at 1x to order dive and go eat dinner! Rotfl

With vast open water I can see modding the TC to 4096 or 8192!

Wulfmann
Heibges

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surface Search Radar just makes it too easy to find targets. Only the early war missions were really challenging in Silent Service or Silent Hunter.

I hope there is an Atlantik expansion, or patch included with SH4.

US Navy used wolfpacks just smaller.
Beery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Pv- wrote:
I too have clicked the red button in three German sub games and didn't like it very much. I enjoyed the graphics, the sim, the challenge, appreciated the historical significance of what the men in those mahines endured and accomplished, but still hated sinking my own virtual countrymen. I guess I'm just a little sensitive and my father was in the US WWII Navy.

They're all people, no matter where they come from or what language they speak. When people kill other people in wartime it's not like it's 'better' if they're killing a foreigner, nor is it 'worse' to kill one's fellow countryman. I think any such feelings that one nation or race is more important than another must come from a pretty dark place.

I guess this is why people can be persuaded to go to war. It's easier to dehumanize someone if they speak a foreign language or look different. But then again, maybe I'm sensitive on this subject, since I lived in Germany and Austria for a few years.

The other thing is, we're talking about a game. No one is really dying. I had an uncle at El Alamein and three relatives in WWI, but I'd have no problem buying a game in which I was expected to shoot British 'Tommies' coming over the top at Third Ypres or man a German 88 at El Alamein and shoot at my simulated uncle's tanks. The reason being that I'm not killing anyone.
pilotxxl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, Jap subs are hard to manoeuvre underwater, slow to dive, easy to track in sonar and very easy to spot visual or in the radar, considered their huge size, but the main problem in their poor performance is due to tactical orders.

Japanese subs where mainly employed against military shps and to running supplies to the islands garrison's.

With such commitments I have none surprise seeing their lack of tonnage sunk during the war.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: