Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Exact Bearing Indicator?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christian Knudsen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Exact Bearing Indicator? Reply with quote

Ok, I did a search which returned nothing, so please don't give me the gears on this one...

Is there any way in the game to get a report or (readable) dial that gives the current bearing of the sub? The dial on the bottom of the screen is only readable to plus or minus 5 degrees or so, and I get tired of writing down every new bearing I take or worse using the protractor to plot the bearing I am moving on. This can get rather tedious when trying to plot target course and/or intercepts/attack angles.

Is there a mod that provides this? Even something as simple as changing the rudder counter to a bearing counter would be much easier to use for plotting...
Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know off, but you can get your current heading at any time. Press the key to reset your view to 0°, then press the key to change your course to the one you're currently viewing. Since it's at 0°, it'll give you your current course. I can't give you the exact keys because I use an azerty keyboard, but I'm sure someone else can tell you if you don't already know.
jclespe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just didn't know that there was a key that resst the view to 0°.
But i did it manually, and press the the key that change your course where you are looking.
It works well!!
(To get the key, press F1 during the game or look at the manual Smile )
Good luck man !!
Karl-Heinz Jaeger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Exact Bearing Indicator? Reply with quote

Christian Knudsen wrote:
Is there any way in the game to get a report or (readable) dial that gives the current bearing of the sub?

You mean heading, not bearing......Sheesh! How did you ever get command of a U-boat??!! Rotfl

If you are using a qwerty keyboard then the default keys are the - and + keys above the [] keys you use for rudder control. Just out of curiosity, why do you need to write down every new heading you order??? Are you manually plotting your course or something?? I keep a reasonably detailed patrol log/war diary and when I note down a course change a lot of the time I'll just say "Ordered new course NNE, ahead one third on both diesels" rather than the actual figure in degrees. It can get quite tedious trying to set an exact course. Hope this helps anyway.

Ping
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using FBL Sales' Simfeeling 6-Dials mod, and the compass in that one is so big I can read my heading easily.
Christian Knudsen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am used to land nav, where you march on a bearing, not a heading - just the groundpounder in me, I guess.

Mainly I use my "heading" to calculate target heading and AOB. I try and guesstimate the AOB from visual, then use the following formula to get target heading:

x = 180 - AOB - bearing to target

where x is the number of degrees you need to turn port or starboard to be on an equal heading to the target = target heading.

What I then do is plot a course line for the target, and then compare and adjust it to the course lines generated by range/bearing measurements. This allows me over time to fine tune the AOB in situations where fast 90 isn't practical, and also cross-checks my range/bearing plots as well. Basically, I need the sub heading to plug into the trig above...

As well, it just annoys me that I can't easily figure out the heading that I am on. Isn't that what the dang NavO is for?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: