Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

DVD burner problems (Starforce?)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Floater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: DVD burner problems (Starforce?) Reply with quote

My PC has an ASUS DRW-1608P DVD burner that I can't get to work. I suspect I may be a victim of Starforce from an SH3 install, but I'd like to make sure, or preferably fix the problem.

I've uninstalled Starforce with "Starforce removal.exe", and haven't allowed it to reinstall. I've upgraded the firmware on the DVD drive with the latest ASUS version; they don't seem to have any software drivers, so presumably that's handled by WinXP. No disc came with the system that seems to have anything to do with DVD writers.

I've also tried disabling the disc from XP's device manager, rebooting and letting it auto-detect. I've also tried updating the driver, but Windows doesn't see anything more up-to-date, and doesn't even seem to try looking for releases in the net.

The symptoms are, quite simply, that it works as a CD burner or a DVD reader, but not as a DVD writer. Windows says there's no valid disc in the drive, and assumes it's a CD anyway, and Nero Express doesn't enable the "Burn" button for a DVD data burn.

What else can I try?
lafeeverted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already updated the starforce drivers, try that. I had no problems with starforce that was installed from SH3. I recently installed another game with SF and immediately had cd/dvd drive issues. this was also immediately resolved by updating the drivers for SF. Hope that fixes it for you as well.
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floater, I've had the same type of issue with my DVD burner last week. It would not complete a burn of backup data on an Imation DVD-R. It used to, because I have a few Imation DVD-Rs from the same pack I burned a few months ago. I have the Sony DRU-710A, so I bought a new pack of Sony DVD-R. Works fine on them.

I have experienced that kind of problem with previous CD and DVD burners... long before Starforce came out. I think the home CD-DVD recording science is still imperfect.
Gizzmoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Neal said, try different media. I had the same problem a while ago with a certain type of DVD+R, it worked after I had downgraded the firmware of my drive...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mowgli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lafeeverted wrote:
If you haven't already updated the starforce drivers, try that. I had no problems with starforce that was installed from SH3. I recently installed another game with SF and immediately had cd/dvd drive issues. this was also immediately resolved by updating the drivers for SF. Hope that fixes it for you as well.

All the problems with Starforce and you STILL buy another game with it on? You then have to waste your time having to repair your machine because of it.

Sorry. Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Cant help it.
Floater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks.

To clarify, as far as I can tell I've uninstalled Starforce, so the version shouldn't matter (assUming the uninstall worked!).

However, I've only tried one brand of media - Packard Bell - so it's worth picking up a different manufacturer's discs and trying that. That's the next stage.
lafeeverted

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Mowgli should re-read my post and his quote of my post! Rotfl

Here, I'll make it easy for you.....

lafeeverted wrote:
Mowgli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lafeeverted wrote:
Maybe Mowgli should re-read my post and his quote of my post! Rotfl

Here, I'll make it easy for you.....

lafeeverted wrote:

Yep. I read it. You went and installed another game with Starforce on and had problems.

Ouch. This stove is hot. Ouch. This stove is hot. Ouch. This stove is hot.

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
kiwi_2005

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The symptoms are, quite simply, that it works as a CD burner or a DVD reader, but not as a DVD writer. Windows says there's no valid disc in the drive, and assumes it's a CD anyway, and Nero Express doesn't enable the "Burn" button for a DVD data burn.

What Neal and Gizome said. Same thing happened to me, i changed media and it worked fine. Be weary of cheap dvd disks.
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mowgli wrote:

Ouch. This stove is hot. Ouch. This stove is hot. Ouch. This stove is hot.

Fix the stove, don't quit eating Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: