Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Larry Bond's Dangerous Ground now shipping

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Larry Bond's Dangerous Ground now shipping Reply with quote

Received a notice from Amazon that my copy of Larry Bond's Dangerous Ground has shipped.

Review
"Larry Bond's intimate knowledge of a submarine's technical details is matched by his understanding of human nature, and he combines fascinating characters with captivating technology to keep you turning the pages."

Book Description

The USS Memphis, a dilapidated submarine that that should have been mothballed decades ago, has been given one last mission by the newly elected president. The task: To sneak illegally into Russia's coastal waters and recon the leaking nuclear fuel containers hidden on the floor of the Arctic Ocean. More than just an environmental nightmare, this radioactive burial ground houses enough nuclear capability to destroy most of America's major cities.

The Memphis's commander, Lowell Hardy, had been looking forward to flag rank and pleasant duty upon the sub's decommissioning. Now he is trapped in an inconceivably dangerous and illegal mission which could easily end his career, if not his life and the lives of his crew. But it's the crew who feel Hardy's tension as he tyrannizes everyone on board to ensure they'll be ready for anything:

Jerry Mitchell: a former naval pilot with political connections, he is a novice submariner, unprepared for his demanding job as a weapons officer. Central to the Memphis's mission, Mitchell may be its greatest liability . . . or its ultimate salvation.

Dr. Joanna Patterson: The senior civilian scientist, appointed by and reporting to the president, she is a world-class expert on nuclear fuel contamination--and every bit as demanding as Hardy. Patterson and her partner, Dr. Emily Davis, soon find themselves battling flaring tempers, faulty machinery, lethal radioactivity, and the raging arctic seas.

The submariners: Seething with rage at their Captain Bligh-like commander and the equally domineering Joanna Patterson, they are also at war with Jerry Mitchell, and one another. Like the captain, they feel they deserve better, not this antiquated relic, not this hostile scientist, not this novice weapons officer, and definitely not this disastrously dangerous mission.

Nor is the mission what it seems. Lurking beneath the frigid, black, radioactive waters is a secret far more deadly than anything naval command could imagine--a secret so menacing the Russian Fleet is hell-bent on destroying the Memphis and all who sail in her."
U-Dog

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh Sounds good.

thanks
Thumbs Up
Driftwood

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to get down to B & N! Very Happy
FAdmiral

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen and spoken to Larry many times at the Connections Conference
held every year. This year it will be in Orlando during the week of
Aug. 2-5, 2005. Many of the game developers and others will be there
to hear talks and play games on demo night....

JIM
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of Dangerous Ground arrived a few days ago. I'm only in the early pages, but already I feel it's a breath of fresh air after my disappointing experience with DiMercurio's latest novel (see http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27199 ).

Stay tuned for my review!
Driftwood

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Completely agree with you on DiMercurio. Got a few of his novels for Christmas and read them in order of publication. The first one was good, 2nd ok, etc, etc. The last one I have of his (Threat Vector) is sitting unfinished and unlikely to be finished. Very much looking forward to this new one from Larry Bond. Thumbs Up
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrankine wrote:
Bill, Completely agree with you on DiMercurio. Got a few of his novels for Christmas and read them in order of publication. The first one was good, 2nd ok, etc, etc. The last one I have of his (Threat Vector) is sitting unfinished and unlikely to be finished....

Yep, that's about how far I got before losing interest... :dead:
Pigfish

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrankine wrote:
Bill, Completely agree with you on DiMercurio. Got a few of his novels for Christmas and read them in order of publication. The first one was good, 2nd ok, etc, etc. The last one I have of his (Threat Vector) is sitting unfinished and unlikely to be finished. Very much looking forward to this new one from Larry Bond. Thumbs Up

Rotfl I first heard of DiMercurio from this forum-so what did I do, I went out and bought all of his books. Damn

I am about 1/3 the way through Threat Vector but it is a struggle when you have to force yourself to read it. But I am determined to finish it. But the other three books I have yet to read, I dunno-might end up in a garage sale soon. Waist of $$. Sad

His 'Complete Idiots Guide To Submarines' was OK though...
Driftwood

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caution, potential spoiler on Threat Vector! Confused

Pigfish, his first book, and even the 2nd were pretty good (IMHO). At least good enough to make me begin reading Threat Vector. It wasn't until he started this plot where the entire Navy brass was going to be sunk while they attended some kind shin-dig on an ocean liner. Surprised Oh, did I mention that the liner was going to be sunk by a submarine that gives off the sonar signature of a porpoise or dolphin or squid or......? :8Cool or something like that......... My apologies to anyone if I've spoiled it.
bradclark1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up Dangerous Ground at the library the other day and finished it already. A very good read and as Bill said it's like a breath of fresh air.
If you haven't read it do yourself a favour and do so.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerous Ground is out in paperback now. Just picked it up and read the 1st 150 pages. Very good so far. I recomend it to everyone. Thumbs Up
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question. What’s an ‘NAE Beacon’? Saw it mentioned on Pg. 393.
jeffg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great book have read it twice so far.
Jeff
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: