Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

100% realism: Manual charting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: 100% realism: Manual charting? Reply with quote

I think one of the 'problems' with SH III was that 100% realism was confused with 100% difficulty.
A captain who is firing the Flak or deck gun is not very realistic, but fun and more difficult that firing on 'auto'.
A captain who is working without his team is also not realistic, but - sometimes fun and therefor more difficult.
So there should actually two scales, one of realism without an on/off toggle, and one of difficulty for the player, with an on/off toggle.
pilotxxl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 100% realism: Manual charting? Reply with quote

Abraham wrote:
I think one of the 'problems' with SH III was that 100% realism was confused with 100% difficulty.
A captain who is firing the Flak or deck gun is not very realistic, but fun and more difficult that firing on 'auto'.
A captain who is working without his team is also not realistic, but - sometimes fun and therefor more difficult.
So there should actually two scales, one of realism without an on/off toggle, and one of difficulty for the player, with an on/off toggle.

I agree with Abraham, but it would be interesting when a captain perform a task due to an sailor or petty officer his status benefit from the performance of the task executed.
Trout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 100% realism: Manual charting? Reply with quote

agreed. But we still need a mechanism to motivate captains to do more than just issue orders all the time. I would like to simulate a captain who has worked his way up throught the boats and knows every job on board (kinda like a Jack Aubrey). Maybe only once per voyage he does an navigational fix, or trims the boat, or dials in a radio message, but he does them to make a point to his crew.

Abraham wrote:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: