Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Starforce - security issue?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Starforce - security issue? Reply with quote

Guys - what's the security issue with starforce?
Gizzmoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no known immediate security issues. A virus/trojan/whatever could theoretically exploit the Ring 0 issue (gain access to your system/hardware and possibly damage parts of it), but there is no piece of software that does that. Well, actually that´s not entirely correct, it was said that there was/is a malicious SH3 DVD crack that changes your BIOS and changes some system files, but any virus could do that as long as you log in with administrator rights, when you open malicious files. Your system is basically 100% vulnerable if you don´t log in with restricted user right. Just be careful not to open unknown email attachments and don´t open files from "shady" sources.

Thread moved to "General Topics".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skybird

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keelbuster,

use the search-button. We had plenty of discussions on SF, some of them pretty angry. Ask a guy named Soulmaster, who knows quite some stuff on SF. Despite the security issue, there is a chance that you may face technical problems, like extremely slowing down CD or DVD-drives, unability to make data savings to CD, or extremely long booting and shutting down sequences. A majority of people may be saved from these, a not small minority is not.

Think twice if the titel you plan to buy is worth the risk for you.

At least not much other computer stuff polarizes people so much like SF does. Smile UBI is dropping it for that reason, it seems, that they have lost more money and/or reputation by using it than it saved them.
Gizzmoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skybird wrote:
Ask a guy named Soulmaster, who knows quite some stuff on SF.

His name is Soulcommander.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skybird wrote:
Keelbuster,

use the search-button. We had plenty of discussions on SF, some of them pretty angry. Ask a guy named Soulmaster, who knows quite some stuff on SF. Despite the security issue, there is a chance that you may face technical problems, like extremely slowing down CD or DVD-drives, unability to make data savings to CD, or extremely long booting and shutting down sequences. A majority of people may be saved from these, a not small minority is not.

Think twice if the titel you plan to buy is worth the risk for you.

At least not much other computer stuff polarizes people so much like SF does. Smile UBI is dropping it for that reason, it seems, that they have lost more money and/or reputation by using it than it saved them.

Hmm. Cool. I bought the game on DVD and 'liberated' it. I've never had any problems with rebooting, DVD speed, etc, and was wondering if there was some backdoor/virus-like/security issue. Good to know it's no bigger a risk than surfing pron.

About the search button - i know - i'm a lazy bastiche. I've used the search button a lot, and with very limited success. Often I have to read two hundred posts about installing the GW mod or something before I get to anything relevant. But I admit i didn't even try this time. Thanks for the answers anyhow.

Kb
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: