Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

X or Cruciform?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which rudder configuration is best?
Traditional Crucifrom
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
Increasing popular X configuration
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Deathblow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: X or Cruciform? Reply with quote

Poll overload? Maybe.... *shrug* but since I'm in a polling mood.

Your designing a submarine. Do you want the Aft rudder configuration in the classic cruciform configuration as seen here...
http://www.fxmodels.com/688192-2.shtml (2nd picture down)

or...

do you go with the sometimes use X form that some subs are now toting like seen here...
http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/models/images/lex_verkuijl/model_walrus2_class_lex_verkuijl_13.jpg

Which would you prefer and why?
goldorak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would answer if I knew the differences in performance between the two types of ruder. Embarassed
But based on a purely estetic point of view I choose cruciform configuration. Joking
Wildcat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would choose the simple old design. There's less to go wrong, and less to fix if something really does go wrong.
Deathblow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldorak wrote:
I would answer if I knew the differences in performance between the two types of ruder. Embarassed
But based on a purely estetic point of view I choose cruciform configuration. Joking

There's definantly some collness to the X form. Its a sexy design.

To sum up the performance differences in a quick nutshell, one could basically say that the X form produces more turning power and thus improved manueverability, but is mechnically more complicated and operationally more complicated. A cruciform gets less turning power, but is simpler.

Cruciforms are pretty inuitive to operate, just at a glance, and in the situation where a computer goes down, or for whatever other reason, the ship needs to be steered manually on manual control it can be done pretty successfully. The X form on the other hand, is more complicated, and in the event of a systems failure, would be a nightmare to control.

One could go into more detail about the why's and ifs of each design but that about sums it up. I chose the cruciform.

Oh, and I'm not sure how easy it is to stream a tow array through an X form rudder... :hmm:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: