Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

FGG TMA

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raskil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: FGG TMA Reply with quote

Hi,

i' m quite new to DW but i've played Sub Command and 688(l) Hunter/Killer for ages. As i got my DW some days ago i was very exited about the new feature to use the FGG 7. But as it turns out, i can't really use it, because i'm not able to opperate the TMA Board. Can anyone provide some infos how to operate the FGG 7 TMA board in a proficient fashion?

Greets

Raskil
sonar732

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: FGG TMA Reply with quote

Raskil wrote:
Hi,

i' m quite new to DW but i've played Sub Command and 688(l) Hunter/Killer for ages. As i got my DW some days ago i was very exited about the new feature to use the FGG 7. But as it turns out, i can't really use it, because i'm not able to opperate the TMA Board. Can anyone provide some infos how to operate the FGG 7 TMA board in a proficient fashion?

Greets

Raskil

Yeah...click the auto crew on the upper left... Rotfl Rotfl

I hate TMA! Damn
Raskil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, i love TMA, but only on Submarines. The FGG TMA ist some kind of Mystery to me.
goldorak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raskil wrote:
Hehe, i love TMA, but only on Submarines. The FGG TMA ist some kind of Mystery to me.

I don't think there is anyone who uses manual tma on the frigate :hmm:
The real difficult part of the tma on the frigate is that you cannot zoom in and out like the tma on subs.
If the points go out of the board you have to start from scrap.
Raskil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, are you using your auto-crew, or some other technique? At the moment i generate my own solution by using variuos bouys an the ships sensors. So the TMA on the FGG seams almost useless.
goldorak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raskil wrote:
so, are you using your auto-crew, or some other technique? At the moment i generate my own solution by using variuos bouys an the ships sensors. So the TMA on the FGG seams almost useless.

Yes, basically everything on manual except tma on the frigate.
Triangulation with sonobuoys is dirt and cheap so no nead to mess with manual tma.
Of course if the contact is outside the sonobuoys reach but not of your sonar than tma becomes relevant.
HydroShok

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't zoom in too far or the paper will rip. You have to have ownship and the target visible at all times or else its a pain. So long story short, a slow speed ruler is impossible to see zoomed out (you cant see the hash marks).
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just narrow active and helo buoys.
Ultraboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially, I took one look at the Perry's TMA, and promptly clicked autocrew.

However, after playing for a while, I just decided to do what I did to learn TMA all those years ago on SC. Just create a mission with you and one other contact in a random box with ROE set to "peace." After some fiddling around I started to get the hang of it, and just as with SC, found it quite rewarding just to pinpoint the target on my own, using only one sensor.

Now, having said that, I still use the autocrew in heavy traffic situations because, well, the TMA sheet can start to look like a spirograph pretty quick. But, often I will simply drop all the neutral contacts so I can just focus on those one or two subs out there. (Don't worry, I re-check any neutrals before firing!)

Anyway, my advice is, if you haven't spent any time on Frigate TMA before, take some time to experiment with it. You might find out you're good at it, and subsequently add another dimension to your game.
JamesT73J

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words. 'Relative Bearing'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesT73J wrote:
Two words. 'Relative Bearing'.

ARGHH!!!!! Damn
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pet peeve about the ffg tma is that the lines are far too short. If I need TMA on a EW contact, it's outside 10nm. If I have a sonar contact that I need to track, it's definitely outside 5nm. (If it's inside, it's ID and torpedo control that takes time)

But no zoom (except at the place you were when the plot started) is also a real bother.
Wildcat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue is relative bearing (creates a lot of extra math), also the actual working of the interface is a little difficult (it can be hard to control the ruler and where the little dot goes). I generally leave autoTMA on and focus on other more important stuff, but sometimes if you need a fast and hard tma solution you gotta do it the manual way..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: