Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Warning, Venting: Luftwolf > Sonalyst
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mod Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldorak wrote:
LuftWolf wrote:
My world stops at the doorstep of the consoles. Joking

:gulp: :gulp:
Operation Flashpoint is a pc game Luftwolf.

Ok, then my world stops at the doorstep of games my computer is too slow to run. Joking

Laughing

My computer in 2001 was a total hooptie (in college)... my computer now is a servicable laptop with a genuine Nvidia card, but DW is pretty much the limit of its capabilities.

I think I can add Flashpoint to the list of games I want to get when I upgrade, including IL-2 FB *drool*...
OneShot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Flashpoint implemented the concept of differing units/capabilities on one battlefield, it certainly didn't go as far or at least did it that well. While the infantry part was very well designed and is still (except for the graphics) realism wise up to par to most if not all current games/simulations about infantry fights, the other parts i.e. tanks, airplanes and most notably helicopters were a looong shot off and pretty simplified. In the end, OFP, Joint Operations, Battlefield and similar games are at the current stage FPS games or at max Infantry simulations with the added benefit of being able to control a vehicle from a first person perspective and mostly very basic at that.

Bottom line, my opinion is that even tho you can certainly compare the concept of having differing playable units in the same battlespace at the same time, the buck basically stops there as the scope and goal of both games are really different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about joint operations, but I do know that bungling ofp in with the bf series is something of a mistake - the pace is sooo different.

Ofp is indeed most realistic as an infantry simulator, but it has the full range of vehicles that make the infantry "position" what it is, including tanks and gunships and fixed-wing aircraft. The big clue is that there isn't anything the ai can do that the player cannot.

It won't hold up to steel beasts in realism for tank crews. The A-10 is far more realistic in Lock-on - but as far as the combined battlespace goes, OFP was (and perhaps still is) the most realistic.

I do know that VBS, an offshoot of sorts, is used as a military trainer.
(Kinda like Steel Beasts Pro)

Quote:
Ok, then my world stops at the doorstep of games my computer is too slow to run.

Requirements (recommended)
Pentium2/400 (3/600)
64Mb RAM (128)
3d graphics card with 16Mb (32) ram, 8 if using Voodoo2 (Does anyone know the release year for the voodoo2? Friggin ancient!)

Not to mention all the addons, like what's probably my favourite, Unified Artillery.

Armed assault, kinda "halfway to the sequel" (which won't be ofp2, by the way) is supposed to be released later this year. Much prettier, and the viewdistances are WOW in comparison to ofp.

So LW, consider getting OFP now and let ArmA be the one on the when-I-get-a-new-computer wishlist. Yep
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my what big teeth you have ! Rotfl
And so quick to flash 'em...Surprised So for you 'flashers' Wink :-

LW - ''My world stops at the doorstep of the consoles.'' as has been said - fact Flashpoint was** a PC game. Laughing
OS - '' Flashpoint....certainly didn't go as far or at least did it that well.'' I said ''ahead of competition **at the time.'' :doh:
''A few years ago.'' is the operative phrase - not surprising several other games have surpassed it. :dead:
C'mon guys lets have some accurate fire - shucks if you're that wide of the mark in the game....... :huh: Wink

I'm looking to move from Steel Beasts Gold to Pro but am unlikely to desert Harpoon SP for the delights of
the newish MP. Lifes too short !!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mod Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: