Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Any1 remember the game "688 Attack Sub" for Sega?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oberon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Service on the original NES Thumbs Up
Then it was Fast Attack, and that was the sim I really kinda broke my subsimming teeth on, learning to line the dots and not to torpedo myself! Confused
Then it was Sub Command, then Silent Hunter II...and at the moment that's where I'm at...hopefully Dangerous Waters soon! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really sucks that the number and quality of console sims has actually GONE DOWN since 1988... Damn Crying or Very sad
Oberon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
It really sucks that the number and quality of console sims has actually GONE DOWN since 1988... Damn Crying or Very sad

It's an FPS world... Damn

(although I'd like to add, some FPS's are great [MOH: Allied Assault for example, one of my favourites] but it's when you get 'generic FPS 1' and 'generic FPS 2' that things start getting stupid)
kgsuarez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am totally annoyed at the multitude of FPS games out now. It seems that all anyone wants to do is shoot at eachother. Whatever, I suck at FPS games. My aim is terrible.

I have always been a simmer. My first computer game was Flight Simulator. I think on Windows 3.1 on my first computer. It might have been on Windows 95 though.

After being obsessed with U-boats for sometime I wondered if there was a sim for U-boat warfare. It wasn't long before I came across SHII. Eventually I heard about CAoD and its dynamic campaign. I swear, to this day the idea of a dynamic campaign and a career mode is the coolest thing to me. After I got tired of U-boats I got SC. Wow... what a game. I loved it. When SHIII came out I got it and played it intensly for a while. Then I wanted to go back to nukes, and DW waters was out.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a modern naval warfare game that had a dynamic campaign? Maybe it could be set in the Cold War era. You could choose a starting date and faction (USA or USSR) and pick a name and stuff, like in SHIII and CAoD. You could start out on a diesel boat and eventually work your way up to nukes (or something to that effect). I don't really know how it would work, but I like the RPG type effect that this feature would add to the genre. What do you guys think? It'd be neat to leave port and go out on a patrol or something instead of just being dropped into battle the way SC and DW do it. Crew managment and damage control and stuff.. man that would be neat. :hmm:
goldorak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgsuarez wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a modern naval warfare game that had a dynamic campaign? Maybe it could be set in the Cold War era. You could choose a starting date and faction (USA or USSR) and pick a name and stuff, like in SHIII and CAoD. You could start out on a diesel boat and eventually work your way up to nukes (or something to that effect). I don't really know how it would work, but I like the RPG type effect that this feature would add to the genre. What do you guys think? It'd be neat to leave port and go out on a patrol or something instead of just being dropped into battle the way SC and DW do it. Crew managment and damage control and stuff.. man that would be neat. :hmm:

I don't think that a dynamic campaign based on the cold war would be lets say fun ? Yep
There is nothing interesting in the cold war, submarines trailing other submarines what fun yeah Rolling Eyes
What we need is a fictional scenario based mostly in post cold war years with a confrontation between regional powers, in southeast asia, middle east, "put your favorite hot spot on earth here" ?
Think Falcon 4 dynamic campaign engine in naval terms.
kgsuarez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you need to be able to attack stuff. But maybe.. you can start out before the actual war to gain experience points or move up in rank or something like that. I don't know. I like career modes. Confused
Oberon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Storm Rising remade with DW style simulation, SHIII graphics, and the original RSR persistant world, and a slight RPG element thrown in for the crew.

I doubt my machine would run it...but hot damn...what a sim it would be.
goldorak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgsuarez wrote:
Yeah, you need to be able to attack stuff. But maybe.. you can start out before the actual war to gain experience points or move up in rank or something like that. I don't know. I like career modes. Confused

You gain ranks, medals and recognition during the war just as in falcon 4.
Missions are generated dynamically, and depending on the exit of your mission, you get awraded points, medals, promotions etc...
Of course the missions impact also on the evolution of the war.
Screw up a number of missions and your side could be losing the war.
Missions could be, electronic intelligence, harbor infiltration, destruction of oil platforms,
create a marine blocus, etc... lots of interesting ideas for a post cold war theater.
Sethorion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend who isn't into gaming anymore but he had this game ages ago. When he played it once there was a glitch that made you go on ground...

Last edited by Sethorion on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sethorion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops sorry pressed post twice.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: