Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Random submarine movement

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Random submarine movement Reply with quote

Goodaye,

I'm trying to set up a simple scenario which has one hostile sub, randomly placed in an area. The sub moves through the area at random in order to provide some basic stalking and TMA practice for myself.

The tricky bit that is causing me trouble is how to make the sub change depth / speed at occasional, random intervals. I can do this - more or less - with waypoint forced changes or by creating multiple instances (say ten or more) of the same sub but with different tactics, waypoints etc. None of these solutions are ideal as the scenario is geared for my own use and I'd prefer to have a target that exhibits more random and unpredictable behaviour. Eg. something that I can't reverse engineer just because I designed the scenario.

If there is anyone who has a more elegant solution than the standard stuff I've mentioned above then I'm both appreciative and all ears.

Cheers,
Lancer
Kapitan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to script the submarines movements and also set random start points.

Speak to bellman or TLAM strike they can help you more than me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Random submarine movement Reply with quote

lancer wrote:
Goodaye,

I'm trying to set up a simple scenario which has one hostile sub, randomly placed in an area. The sub moves through the area at random in order to provide some basic stalking and TMA practice for myself.

The tricky bit that is causing me trouble is how to make the sub change depth / speed at occasional, random intervals. I can do this - more or less - with waypoint forced changes or by creating multiple instances (say ten or more) of the same sub but with different tactics, waypoints etc. None of these solutions are ideal as the scenario is geared for my own use and I'd prefer to have a target that exhibits more random and unpredictable behaviour. Eg. something that I can't reverse engineer just because I designed the scenario.

If there is anyone who has a more elegant solution than the standard stuff I've mentioned above then I'm both appreciative and all ears.

Cheers,
Lancer

Changing tactic at waypoints doesn't work, I hope Sonalysts will fix that.
I did some thing as you want for TMA practice.
Changing speed, course and depth at waypoints works fine.
I used five subs, put them in a dynamic group so just one exist at game start.
Works for me, because I have a worse memory. Smile Altough I don't think many people can remember all the movements the sub are designed to do.
lancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: How to script sub movement? Reply with quote

Goodaye,

Yep, scripting the submarine movement is what I'm aiming at but how do you set up suitable triggers that randomly activate a depth or speed change?

I can see no 'random' function in the doctrine or scripting languages. There is a 'do on the x occurence of a trigger' function but how you would use this and not get whacko behaviour is beyond me. Anyone with answers would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Lancer
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: