Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

FFG Passive Sonar

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: FFG Passive Sonar Reply with quote

Is this of any use whatsoever? I know it isnt a BQQ 5D but c'mon it seems like WWII sonar! :nope:
OKO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

used to watch incoming torpedoes.
Quite usefull when this is a wake homer (already identified with TA or buoys)
=> You just have to stop engines, look at this sonar and wait the torp to go behind you, then, move again.
Werewolf13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Passive Sonar on the FFG to be effective slow the ship down to 5 knots or less or just drift. The passive sonar IRL is almost as good as the passive on our subs though I don't know if DW is accurate in this respect. And if DW models ship sounds accurately my experience in subs regarding Perry's and Spruances is that if they are going real slow they are very, very difficult to detect and if just drifting damn near impossible (that experience dates back to the early 80's though).

Passive doesn't work too well at speed be it mounted on a sub or a target - uhhhhh - I mean ship.
Dr.Sid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In DW it is VERY weak. There is not much difference in sensitivity until wash-out. It can detect trawler 500 yards away, or torpedo which is way too close. But sub ? Never ..
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hull sonar (some around here forget its a hull mounted and not bow mounted set like on the Sprucan, AB and Tico) is really ment to be an Active and Mine Detection sonar. The Passive mode is just kinda a bonus.

Just imagian the Sub's Hull sonars while running a PD at 8 knots.

I guess it could be improved a little but not a whole lot, someone better tell LW he should be able to swing that in 3.02. Wink
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already HAVE improved it over the stock game. Smile
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hull sonars passive mode is capable of detecting a torpedo running at max speed (at least if that is high enough) and cavitating. Anything else... well, perhaps the odd supertanker already within visual range... And that is with the improved one.

(Btw, LW, check that its sensitivity is the value you improved it to - I seem to remember that for a while it was good at finding surface ships at some distance...)

It's max speed before washout takes effect is 9 knots, btw.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaHuJa wrote:
The hull sonars passive mode is capable of detecting a torpedo running at max speed (at least if that is high enough) and cavitating. Anything else... well, perhaps the odd supertanker already within visual range... And that is with the improved one.

(Btw, LW, check that its sensitivity is the value you improved it to - I seem to remember that for a while it was good at finding surface ships at some distance...)

It's max speed before washout takes effect is 9 knots, btw.

The Hull sonar got hit with the same +2 point correction that all sonars had to keep it consistent with other sonars of its type.

Perhaps it should be made more sensitive even than it is now... to be honest, I'm going to do some serious research into the Hull sonar on the FFG and get back to... after all the FFG is known as being rather hard of hearing. Confused

I'll add it back to the list of things to look at for the next version of the mod. Wink
Fandango

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
The Hull sonar...is really ment to be an Active and Mine Detection sonar.

That's exactly how I use it... Wink
Wildcat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no point in using the hull sonar for passive listening. One of the above posters got it right, the passive towed array sonar is basically just as good as the sonar on a sub. It's a very sensitive piece of equipment and it can be used to listen at Depths down to about 1300 feet or so. In some ways the FFG is better suited to having a towed array because it can change the depth of the TA very quickly without having to change its own physical depth, like a sub, which can cause hull popping and detection.

That means you can possibly detect subs below layers where they cannot hear you but you can hear them.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
The Hull sonar got hit with the same +2 point correction that all sonars had to keep it consistent with other sonars of its type.

Isn't it supposed to be "-2" if you want to improve sensitivity using the Nrd Thereshold keys?
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to reduce the sensititivity of ALL passive sonars by +2 going from 1.01/2.xx to 1.03/3.xx because of the huge ranges that are sometimes capable in 1.03.

Prior to that in LWAMI 2.xx, ALL sphere/hull passive sonars got a boost, including the FFG hull sonar.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: