Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Im loving the FFG and the P-3...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nattydread

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Im loving the FFG and the P-3... Reply with quote

I cant believe I deprived myself from the joys of surface skimming and aerial coastal tours for so long. i'll be taking a break from subs(Kilo) on MP for a while me thinks!!

On a side note, when it comes to single player missions, how strict is the mission model with respect to invading the 12 mile soveriegnty barrier(I cant snap any phots of bay/inlet installations from 12 miles it seems)? Also, what is the international standing on trajectory launching of bouys fromoutside the 12 barrier to witin the 12 mile barrier? Smile

Does the AI Helo for the FFG perform MAD/SAD searches? Does it deploy its dipping sonar? How do I get it to do these searches when and where I want it to?
Wildcat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the helo on the FFG doesn't use the dipping sonar, which still drives me NUTS!!

However I do find that you can get almost all the same contacts as your helo does using your broadband array. That array is a very good piece of equipment and you can catch submarines very easily if they are not being careful. Otherwise you just have to scatter lots of sonobuoys with your helo and listen.

I'd say the 12 mile barrier is fairly strict. You can cross it by a little bit but it will cause problems. Don't get too close to military installations in the P3, nor enemy patrol boats, or they'll shoot you down for being too nosy.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make it dip in LW/Ami 3.02. =)

As for the 12 mile limit, breaching it in the stock mission is no big deal, IIRC. Getting caught inside those limits is another matter entirely. That's the way it works in a lot of player-designed missions too. (For example, Bastion Gambit from the RSR campaign)
nattydread

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, so with respect to the 12 mile barrier...just dont get caught Smile

That may be a problem with land based radar and SAM sites radiating right next to the inlet/bay entrance :nope:
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no MAD/SAD or dipping capability on the stock FFG AI helos in DW.

LWAMI 3.02 adds full capability to the AI MH60 when under ship control.
Phullbrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
LWAMI 3.02 adds full capability to the AI MH60 when under ship control.

Luftwolf can you please explain how you make the helo AI to use the dipping when the helo is controlled by the FFG ? Smile
Ultraboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phullbrick wrote:
Luftwolf can you please explain how you make the helo AI to use the dipping when the helo is controlled by the FFG ? Smile

Well, I'm not Luftwolf, but I just finished investigating this myself so I'll try to explain...

...actually there's not much to explain, just assign a "Fly to" waypoint to the helo. Once it goes there it will stop, go to low altitude and lower the dipping sonar, within a few minutes, if there is a contact nearby, it will appear on the map, various displays etc. via the LINK.

Or, if you prefer, here's the relevant part of the LWAMI Readme...

LWAMI Readme wrote:
Player FFG AI MH-60 Helocopter-DIPPING AND MAD CAPABLITY ENABLED-The AI MH60 for the player FFG has been given dipping capability and sensors. To order the MH60 to dip, assign a Fly-To waypoint where you want the helo to conduct a dipping search. When the helo gets to the waypoint, the helicopter will stop and descend to 45ft, at which point its dipping sensors will become active. To stop the dipping procedure, assign another waypoint and the helo will go back up to speed and go back to 300ft. The helo has an active dipping sensor (which of course can be heard on submarine active intercept) set at 45ft of depth. The helo also has passive sensors set at 45ft, 600ft, and 1400ft. All sensors are active at the same time. To compensate for this efficiency, I have reduced the sensitivity of the AI sensors on the MH60. The MH60 also now has and effective MAD that can reliably detect submarines down to 750ft of water depth and 1200m around the helo. The range of this sensor is increased somewhat over what is reported in real life to compensate for the imprecise waypoint control in the ASTAC interface. You can now set the MH60 to perform MAD pattern searches on its own by assigning multiple Fly-To waypoints over a search area. The MH60 will fly to each waypoint with its MAD sensor active. If the helo detects and classifies a hostile submarine on MAD, it will automatically attack it with a torpedo, provided it had not previously acquired the target using its dipping sonar. In terms of employing torpedoes in ASW, I recommend using Torpedo-Drop waypoints (as opposed to firing from the NavMap) while the Helo is under ship control to minimize interference with the autopilot. All three torpedoes, including the Mk54, can now be dropped using waypoints, with the Mk54 being the last torpedo used after the two Mk50’s. In regards to full Helo control while the FFG is under player control, I have not found this to be an effective means of utilizing the helo. Now that you can set the helo to do MAD searches or repeatedly ping an area, I recommend always keeping the helo on Ship control. When the FFG is in a mission under full AI control, the MH60 assigned to the platform will behave like an SH60B, the helo assigned to the FFG 7’s in real life, which has only sonobuoy and MAD capability. Known Issue: The fully AI MH60 when behaving like an SH60B for the AI FFG sometimes displays an odd oscillation when pursuing a contact. This is present using the stock DW doctrines, and I have been unable to eliminate it. It is largely only a cosmetic issue, although it sometimes slows down the MH60(SH60B)’s time on target. To be clear, this issue is only present when the FFG is NOT player controlled.
Phullbrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ultraboy Smile

I'm moving to the FFG (and I really enjoy it) and I was desperately searching for commands to order my helo (under ai control) to use dipping passive or active.

If I understand correctly, it's all automatic, we just need to use waypoints.

But I don't see the way to switch from passive to active for the dipping of the helo (ai controlled).
Wildcat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do not see the physical dipping sonar being used on the helo, I simply cannot get it to dip the sonar. Makes the thing almost useless.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FB: the helo uses both at the same time; there would be no way to allow greater control without altering the interface, which is not allowed.

WC: You cannot ever see objects attached to platforms other than your own in DW.
Ultraboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this part of the README explains things best:

"The helo has an active dipping sensor (which of course can be heard on submarine active intercept) set at 45ft of depth. The helo also has passive sensors set at 45ft, 600ft, and 1400ft."

"All sensors are active at the same time."

I've managed to have quite a bit of fun with the FFG since finding this. Smile
Wildcat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip molon. I played a scenario tonight and sunk 3 kilos with my helo without having to waste any sonobuoys. Wonderful!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: