Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Dev Team, Silent Hunter 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who has read books about life in a submarine knows that the managment of crew members, putting togtether the right team of people in every division of the boat, choosing leaders, looking after morale ect. is a BIG part of the captains job.

I think that there ARE ways to make this a fun (but optional) part of a sub sim. What you need to do is put visible and audible clues throughout the boat that the captain can interpret as signs of morale and crew efficiency. THis also creates a MAJOR reason to model the WHOLE 3d interior and populate it with lifelike crewmen.

SH3 really only scratches the surface of what you can gain in terms of gameplay and sensory immersion from modeling the sub interior.

Trout
Torplexed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the crew modelling in SH3 was never really carried to full execution. But at least they made the first attempt at it for a WW2 sub sim. I don't quite feel like I'm controlling an RC sub like I did in SH2.

Speaking of crews I was thinking it would be neat feature if you could drill your crew for greater efficiency. So if you did test dives on your way to your patrol area it would pay off in cutting a few seconds from your dive time. Too many drills and it starts to cut into crew morale. Maybe after a certain amount of time in port the crew's proficiency begins to fall off so you have to initiate the drill cycle again on your next patrol.

Just something to fill those empty hours at low time compression. Cool
Brewster Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marhkimov, last thing bout' CFS3.

Read this:

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4432

Guess who Hurricane_320 is!
Brewster Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAW:

http://www.medairwar.com/new.html

OFF:

http://off.oldbrowndog.net/index.htm

Sorry Gizzmoe! These were the last links! I promise!
tautug

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Long Transit Times in SHIV Reply with quote

In my original post, I wished for between battle things to do in SHIV, primarily for realism but also to not sit and watch a screen for so long.

There should be options once you set a course, like setting watch assignments. Depending on time of day, sitting in the officers mess to go over tactics with XO, etc. An example is you call a meeting in the mess, your officers arrive. A list of strategic options comes up such as setting speed, ride submerged during day, schedule a practice alarm dive, give XO the helm, load a specific configuration of torpedoes, possible radio messages, etc.. Im sure they could find more interesting things, I am just giving a concept.

After those options are set, the captain can retire to his cabin, shower up, go to bed and give command not to disturb for X hours, unleess a sighting or urgent message or problem arises. Essentially you could "sleep" and boat will transition X hours without delay, unless a sighting, etc. is made.
tautug

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Long Transit Times in SHIV Reply with quote

In my original post, I wished for between battle things to do in SHIV, primarily for realism but also to not sit and watch a screen for so long.

There should be options once you set a course, like setting watch assignments. Depending on time of day, sitting in the officers mess to go over tactics with XO, etc. An example is you call a meeting in the mess, your officers arrive. A list of strategic options comes up such as setting speed, ride submerged during day, schedule a practice alarm dive, give XO the helm, load a specific configuration of torpedoes, possible radio messages, etc.. Im sure they could find more interesting things, I am just giving a concept.

After those options are set, the captain can retire to his cabin, shower up, go to bed and give command not to disturb for X hours, unleess a sighting or urgent message or problem arises. Essentially you could "sleep" and boat will transition X hours without delay, unless a sighting, etc. is made.
cmdrk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tautog,

your post ties into this thread.
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=50407

I would like the idea.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: