Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Red Orchestra

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> All Kinds of Other Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archangel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Red Orchestra Reply with quote

I didn`t see a post about this one.

It is due for release in a few days (steam) retail box will be out just after.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/index.php

I`m really excited about this one and from some of the screens and the videos posted from the beta testers on the forum it looks very immersive with nice graphics eventhough the engine is UT-2004.
Winston

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking out for this one which, indecently is released in one hour and forty three minutes via steam. (19:00 hours GMT) Being a veteran of playing the free mod for UT2004 I would recommend ROO to anyone who holds and interest in the more realistic shooters out there. A lot of Il-2 pilots play ROO likening it to Il-2 on the ground.
Hellcat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing it for the last few hours, it certainly is a change from Day of Defeat.

Some neat features...

-you have to work the bolt by pressing "fire" again after you shoot with the mauser k98!

-suppessive fire is a blast to play with, finally that HMG fire will keep that guy down by blurring his/her screen

-multi-crewed vehicles done right! no more of that driver does every thing crap from BF2 (yes i'm aware operation flashpoint did this too)

-combined fireteams with a balanced arms mix are a must, more so than DOD

Though much of the above has been done before, never has it been done so well together. The overall feel is that this is a very polished game with loads of fun to be had.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Archangel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting.
I am actually still on the fence since I have read that many people are not happy about it.

Though they mainly complain about bad FPS and poor graphics.

Would you mind posting a screen along with your specs ?
Hellcat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here comes the pics....

**note have been resized to 800X600**
*All detail set to high*

Compy Specs:

Athlon 64 3500+ socket 939
Asus SLI Deluxe Mobo
Samsung 120 GB Harddrive
Western Digital 160 GB Secondary
1 gig 3200 OZC Platinum PC400 Ram
SB Audiogy 2 Value
eVga Geforce 6600 GT PCI-Express (nvidia 81.98 drivers)
Zalman 7700 Al/Cu Cpu Cooler
Swifttech MCX 159 Copper Chipset Cooler
Windows XP PRO SP2

Still need to get that other 6600GT Very Happy or 2 X 7800GTX for that matter.

Game runs smooth as ice and these pics certainly don't show the game to it's full graphics glory, i suggest you check out the videos on their website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Winston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel wrote:
Thats interesting.
I am actually still on the fence since I have read that many people are not happy about it.

Though they mainly complain about bad FPS and poor graphics.

Would you mind posting a screen along with your specs ?

This was something I was expecting to be honest. Though out it’s development run it was touted as a realistic shooter with no crosshairs etc… and yet there are quite a few people comparing it to games like battlefield 2 and asking where the crosshairs are, or why you don’t have a outside tank view to make it easier to drive.* So the end result of there lack of research is there are some who feel jilted and need to bash a game that was never aimed at them in the first place. As for the graphics, no they are not as good as games such as Day of Defeat: Source, however they are still good. A lot of the flack about the graphics came from the ‘HDR bloom’ effect in the game as it made it look a tad blurry. This can be turned off in the options. Here are some screen shots from my game…

Drivers seat in the tiger tank

German sniper checks out Stalingrad, note the safety set to the on position on the Kar98.** Anyway, this picture shows the bloom effect though not very well. Here it looks much reduced due to the image re-sizing. It almost makes it seem like the player is short sighted.

Picture with the bloom effect turned off.

All these were taken with max settings and x4 AA and x8 AF. I get around 30 to 50 fps with these settings. My basic stats are as follows.

AMD 1.6Ghz 64bit cpu
1 Gig of ram
Radion 9800XT

Anyway Archangel, I’m not sure what your taste in games might be. If however you are looking for a World War II fps that’s more realistic, where running and gunning gets you killed then you might want to look in to this. For my part I played the mod version that was out for UT2004 and before that UT2003. Spent money on those games just to play RO. I consider it worth it as the mod gave me many hours of gaming joy.

* Both the driver and the tank commander have access to hatches so they are able to pop there heads out to get a better view. The danger is they might be shot but it gives much better battlefield perception.

** More trivia really but the model is wrong. The safety latch should be turned 180 to the left in order to allow the gun to fire or re-chamber a round.
Archangel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks for the useful info Very Happy

Screens look nice enough for me, afterall I`m not a "graphicswhore" as the term goes.

And as far as which games I`m into my favorites are OPF, R6 Rouge Spear and the Hidden and Dangerous series so the content and playstyle should suit me for sure.

It was mainly the complaints I was worried about and I wanted to "confirm" or otherwise on a forum not riddled with either CS players that complain or over sensitive fanboys Very Happy

I will for sure get the demo which should be released around the time the retail version hits the shelves.
Would be nice for the easter holiday Thumbs Up

My specs are ok as well as they are :

Amd Sempron 2 ghz ( 3000+ )
1 gig of ram
GF 6600 GT 128 mb
Hellcat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put it this way, if you're willing to give it a chance by all means shell out the $. I've been playing a bit more today and figured that at this price I'll have gotten my worth outta it after 6 hours of gaming.... (that assumption based on the cost of seeing 3 movies or 3 novels at that matter... damn everything costs a bundle up here in the great white north)
ArmorDuck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think you'd enjoy a slow paced WWII themed FPS with a little more realism than most action games offer--you can't really go wrong for the price Tripwire Interactive are asking for this. Graphically it's not as pretty as say, COD2, but it more than makes up for it in gameplay. Apparently there will be a demo released down the road, for those sitting on a fence with this one.
FAdmiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing COD, COD2, Battlefield 2 quite a bit lately, I
really like this game. Maps are big, setting the stage for
better tactical battles, not just the "run & gun" of COD
fame. It lends itself nicely to multiplayer games where
good tactical strategy will pay off. With 24 weapons and
18 vehicles, there is something there for both Germans and
Russians. The realism is much improved over the COD series
games both in ground,trees,buildings,inside buildings, etc.
Here are some of my screenshots from last night:

[img]http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Scratch 1 Tiger.jpg[/img]
Scratch 1 Tiger

[img]http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Tiger goes BOOM .jpg[/img]
Tiger goes BOOM

[img]http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Anti-Tank Rifle in Action .jpg[/img]
Anti-Tank Rifle in Action

[img]http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Just waiting for Germans .jpg[/img]
Lying in wait for some Germans

[img]http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Scratch 2 Germans .jpg[/img]
Scratch 2 Germans

[img]http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Real looking ground .jpg[/img]
Looks like real stones & ground to me

If you look very close at things, the detail becomes apparent.
The ones that don't like it are mostly the "run & gun" kids that
love COD....

JIM

PS. Can't figure out why pics are not coming up here, on another
forum they are just fine with exact settings??

Last edited by FAdmiral on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
bradclark1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sniping sucks, My loader is slow. The enemy is hard to see. I keep getting killed.
Overall I'd say this is a great buy. I'm having a blast.
corvette k225

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it tonight but I always get a system .DLL problem it will not run for me. Embarassed Embarassed
kiwi_2005

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it on but am just playing in practice missions at the moment. Its pretty realistic huh. Good game.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> All Kinds of Other Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: