Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Victoria Class USS Princess Diana
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this an adequate name for a Victoria Class Submarine?
Absolutely
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Yes
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
I do not care
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
No
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Absolutely not
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

JSLTIGER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
If not Enterprise then Constitution would be my pick for the 1st of the new CV class. Come on admit it everyone wants to see a Constitution class USS Enterprise. Laughing

Although I doubt that can/is going to happen.

I don't think it can...USS Constitution (aka "Old Ironsides," ex-IX-21) is still in commission. Because of this, no other ship can have the name Constitution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, I doubt the USN is going to decom Old Ironsides to insert a joke in to the name of a carrier. Although there are ways around the name already used thing. USS United States Constitution. Hay that’s an idea USS United States! That name got wasted so it would be nice to use it.
dbf574

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd prefer if submarines were named in the more traditional way, after inhabitents of the sea. And, by the way, it's Virginia Class SSN not Victoria Class, no such class type in the USN submarine service Wink .
JSLTIGER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
Hay that’s an idea USS United States! That name got wasted so it would be nice to use it.

Twice: In 1958, the USS United States CV-58, the original supercarrier, was cancelled after her keel had been laid by Harry Truman. In the mid-1990s, CVN-75 was originally supposed to be named USS United States, but was later renamed USS Harry S. Truman.

The problem with this name lies in the implications if the ship is ever sunk. Headlines around the world would read: UNITED STATES SUNK!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbf574 wrote:
Personally I'd prefer if submarines were named in the more traditional way, after inhabitents of the sea.
Amen to that too! Thumbs Up

ON the subject of the Constitution I just discovered that their was to be a Lexington class Battlecruiser called Constitution but it was cannceld. They could do this since Old Ironsides was called "Old Constitution" at the time. :hmm:
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSLTIGER wrote:
TLAM Strike wrote:
Hay that’s an idea USS United States! That name got wasted so it would be nice to use it.

Twice: In 1958, the USS United States CV-58, the original supercarrier, was cancelled after her keel had been laid by Harry Truman. In the mid-1990s, CVN-75 was originally supposed to be named USS United States, but was later renamed USS Harry S. Truman.

The problem with this name lies in the implications if the ship is ever sunk. Headlines around the world would read: UNITED STATES SUNK!

Their was ANOTHER that go wasted a Lexington class Battle Cruiser CC-6.

BUT there was another USS United States that got built:

Quote:
The first United States was a sailing frigate that saw action during the War of 1812 and was later captured and commissioned by the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War, thus becoming the "Confederate States' Ship United States."
JSLTIGER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
dbf574 wrote:
Personally I'd prefer if submarines were named in the more traditional way, after inhabitents of the sea.
Amen to that too! Thumbs Up

ON the subject of the Constitution I just discovered that their was to be a Lexington class Battlecruiser called Constitution but it was cannceld. They could do this since Old Ironsides was called "Old Constitution" at the time. :hmm:

They had renamed her to free up the name for the battlecruiser, but once the battlecruiser wasn't going to be built, they gave Constitution her original name back.
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like Japanese naming ie -kaze meaning wind and -ushio meaning tide. Poetic
Jakobs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not. :down:
JSLTIGER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakobs wrote:
Absolutely not. :down:

Absolutely not, what?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: