Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

rescue downed pilot ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palindromeria

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: rescue downed pilot ? Reply with quote

i was goofin around and created a mission where 2 opposing carrier forces basically just blast away at each other while i simply watch the show in 3d from the comfort of 300m depth Smile

So alot of planes get shot down and alot of downed pilots appear in rafts and in some cases pilot adrift alone in the water.

I thought that there was some type of way to rescue friendly pilot / capture enemy pilot but after plugging in various search terms to the adobe docs and to this forum the only thing i find is the lone reference in the "icon" chart denoting that the symbol means downed pilot.

what am i missing ?

my hope had been to script a sub 2v2 with a bunch of downed pilots to save or capture.

i have noticed a few rafts sink , giving me the impression their is some type of hardcoded time limit to reach the raft .

i had hoped that this kind of mission might give subs a reason to start their engines and do something other than sit around for 90 minutes tracking shrimp and whales waiting for someone else to get bored as all get out, and subsequently fall asleep and have their forehead land on the all ahead flank switch. :zzz: Damn Joking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Fish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: rescue downed pilot ? Reply with quote

Palindromeria wrote:
i was goofin around and created a mission where 2 opposing carrier forces basically just blast away at each other while i simply watch the show in 3d from the comfort of 300m depth Smile

So alot of planes get shot down and alot of downed pilots appear in rafts and in some cases pilot adrift alone in the water.

I thought that there was some type of way to rescue friendly pilot / capture enemy pilot but after plugging in various search terms to the adobe docs and to this forum the only thing i find is the lone reference in the "icon" chart denoting that the symbol means downed pilot.

what am i missing ?

my hope had been to script a sub 2v2 with a bunch of downed pilots to save or capture.

i have noticed a few rafts sink , giving me the impression their is some type of hardcoded time limit to reach the raft .

i had hoped that this kind of mission might give subs a reason to start their engines and do something other than sit around for 90 minutes tracking shrimp and whales waiting for someone else to get bored as all get out, and subsequently fall asleep and have their forehead land on the all ahead flank switch. :zzz: Damn Joking

I am a bit lazy, you can use a trigger, read page 52 Mission Editor User Manual. :know:
Palindromeria

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant find down pilot as an object i can add so not sure how to attach a trigger to it.

thought that lifeguard duty was some obvious thing that i simply hadnt read about and couldnt locate Razz

i just assumed hardcoded in the game somewhere,
like pictures and mines ice breaking and all this other stuff was

IF
down pilot in water
AND
sub at "x depth , y speed, x range"
THEN
sub rescues pilot ( when button whatever is pressed ? )

can i use a dsrv to save down pilots ?

or are these poor fellas in the water just to be left to drown ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add a downed pilot manually in the mission editor (I don't remember the how right now) then he cannot be picked up without the appropriate attached trigger (approach type) which has a "remove attached object" action (or runs a script that does it)

As for those that are auto-generated when planes are shot down, I simply don't know. I cannot remember being able to pick them up since fleet command, and there things were a bit different.

As for the DSRV, no. It's only supposed to attach to other subs, though that isn't exactly done correctly either.
Palindromeria

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaHuJa wrote:
If you add a downed pilot manually in the mission editor (I don't remember the how right now) then he cannot be picked up without the appropriate attached trigger (approach type) which has a "remove attached object" action (or runs a script that does it)

As for those that are auto-generated when planes are shot down, I simply don't know. I cannot remember being able to pick them up since fleet command, and there things were a bit different.

As for the DSRV, no. It's only supposed to attach to other subs, though that isn't exactly done correctly either.

thanks for all the info.
top paragraph resulted in temporary bewilderment.
"HUH ?" Laughing Surprised

i have to write sumthin for pilot object that says if "any sub " is within "x " distance speed depth course etc then pilot rescued (removed via script)
and a goal complete trigger so it tallies pilots for subs as well huh ?
Rolling Eyes

personally i havent seen a down pilot in water since sh1 .
assumed there was an obvious automatic (as straitforward as send spec ops is) rescue pilot thingy that i had somehow overlooked.

so what i thought was hardcoded, is actually me having to learn quite a bit about triggers ,scripts, and doctrines. Sad

any links that provide far more specific examples than scs manual or "how to" s of triggers ,scripts, and doctrines would be greatly appreciated.
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe there is any way to pick-up a downed pilot that is spontaneously created by the game engine. If the scenario designer includes a raft as part of his scenario, then there are ways to do the pick-up using scripts combined with approach triggers. But, for a raft that simply 'appears' when an aircraft is shot down, I don't think it can be done. Sad
Palindromeria

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks , Bill.
i will stop spinning my wheels.

1st time one appeared in water , i paused next to him and cursed for about 20 minutes while trying divine this info from the manual Laughing

:sigh: woulda been a cool multi scenario.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: