Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Questions about how PACG generates patrols?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH2 Pacific Aces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkShot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Questions about how PACG generates patrols? Reply with quote

I was browsing around the file structure.

I assume PACG basically randomly picks patrols templates found in the directory structure:

Topp\data\year\base\class\patrol.sdf

Thus, if I wanted to eliminate the possibility of a certain patrol being generated for a career, I could simply remove the particular file, correct?

Or if wanted to increase the probability of a certain patrol, I could just make multiple copies of the same file in the directory, but of different names, correct?

---

Furthermore, I am looking at the SDFs. It seems that every PA patrol exposes the player to three enemy TF/convoys per patrol with a possibility of one of four variants. So, if one was trying to determine where to hunt while watching the contact reports, then there can at most be three lanes of shipping traffic present in the patrol area, correct?

---

Thanks.
MarkShot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to say why the above is of interest to me.

Enemy TF/convoys sometimes run aground. Besides making hunting them uninteresting since they become stationary, given that there are only three generated per patrol; this also affects the availability of targets for the patrol.
Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Markshot,

PACG works more or less like this:

- There is a set of templates for each year/starting base in the proper subfolder. These templates feature the shipping lanes (routes) and bases which spawn ships & airplanes. There is a template per patrol area.

- When you create a campaign, PACG picks templates for the year/base/sub you chose and 1) Adds them at random to the career, maximal 6 minimum 4 patrols, 2) Scripts into them the sub type, weather and name of the convoy/task forces templates available, so they are extra randomized.

So basically what PACG does is just complete the script in the templates, to turn them at random into proper mission files that can be loaded by the SH2 sim exe.

If you want to edit the shipping lanes, they are all found in the templates. The problem of ships running aground is that in Koralle the map is less precise or crowded with small islands, unlike the SH2 map, so convoys eventually stumble upon an "uncharted" piece of land.

Hope that helps Thumbs Up
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH2 Pacific Aces All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: