Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Mission: Kara sea search Feed back.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
PS In rereading your last post, I think you are missing something... but I can't quite put my finger on what it is... I think you genuinely don't believe than an amateur can make genuine improvements to a product such as DW. :know: Well then, try us. Cool

That's not what I intend to imply at all. Actually, I follow what you do with great interest and I'm fascinated by it. In all honesty, a lot of the discussions you bring up surrounding database mods parallel discussions I see every day.

The thing is, often these questions are ones which we don't always have good answers to, and we are informed by everything we can get our hands on, with a herd of engineers, mathematicians, programmers, and physicists, and naval officers to sort through and debate it. There's a great deal of uncertainty involved in what we do. Sometimes the real answer is, "uh... I don't know... make something reasonable up..."

Fixing functionality is not what bothers me at all. I'm all for it. It's the tweaking of values, because one person says something is too loud, or too quiet, or one detection range is too long while another is too short. Often the things they're talking about seem fine to me. Since I haven't tried it (and I DO mean to, I will in all likelihood eventually) I'm very cautious about adopting it, because I don't feel too bad about what I already see. It's interesting, though, because I see less and less of that. I've noticed you frequently site environmental sensitivity, for example.

Please don't take this as a condemnation of your work at all, but rather a reflection of my tendancy to move very slowly with regards to judging one piece of work inferior. If you get to know me, you'll find that most of my thoughts are various shades of, "maybe." In time, I'm sure I'll develop my own list of issues with the stock database.

I've only recently started trying to make scenarios that I felt were playable and I felt good about. Sometimes I worry people give me too much credibility, because I make computerized wargames but by the catch is, I don't make THIS one. In that sense I'm still feeling the game out. I'm starting to develop an opinion of the stock VICTOR III, for example, and the systematic blindness you described might account for it.

I have to do things in my own time.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: