Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

So you would like a Destroyer Command 2?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter II, Destroyer Command & Classic Subsims
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horsa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don. excellent information as always Thumbs Up

@HS
GNBNA arrived yesterday and all I can say is WOW. No wonder this is always spoken of lovingly. What a joy it is to get a really well set out and comprehensive manual. Why is it games publishers have bypassed this feature in recent years ? I suppose one reason is the trend to DVD size cases rather than the bulkier box sets. Wouldn't a return to an indespensible manual reduce ( but not remove ) the incidence of pirating ? As long as games come with electronic manuals and/or no need for manuals digital copying is too easy an option. Hackers always find their way past protection devices and can post up on the net but having to scan a manual and make avaiable would be so much more hassle.

Anyway that's a separate issue .... back to GNBNA . I've not had it installed yet but the manual gives me a very clear impression of what makes this game tick and what a well designed game it looks. I can easily see why simmers would want an updated version of this game. I would guess that means mainly the graphics ( and maybe the sound which I've not been able to sample yet) . The basic design seems very sound . I'll take your word for the dynamic campaign - but the fact that it has one and this is what everyone craves for must make this feature a winner.

Strange how Fighting Steel moved away from the FP action inside the ship. As far as I know no-one has really attempted this for a BB since the early nineties ( along with Jutland and maybe Task Force 1942 ?) All were DOS games , yes ? ..... Before my time as a PC gamer LOL.
HS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What a joy it is to get a really well set out and comprehensive manual. Why is it games publishers have bypassed this feature in recent years ? I suppose one reason is the trend to DVD size cases rather than the bulkier box sets. Wouldn't a return to an indespensible manual reduce ( but not remove ) the incidence of pirating ? As long as games come with electronic manuals and/or no need for manuals digital copying is too easy an option. Hackers always find their way past protection devices and can post up on the net but having to scan a manual and make avaiable would be so much more hassle.

You are probably right. And yes, the manual is indeed another utstandig feature of the game.

Quote:
Anyway that's a separate issue .... back to GNBNA . I've not had it installed yet but the manual gives me a very clear impression of what makes this game tick and what a well designed game it looks. I can easily see why simmers would want an updated version of this game. I would guess that means mainly the graphics ( and maybe the sound which I've not been able to sample yet) . The basic design seems very sound . I'll take your word for the dynamic campaign - but the fact that it has one and this is what everyone craves for must make this feature a winner.

A modern graphic engine for this game would be to good to be true. The general game design however is hard to improve. As to sound: It cannot compete with modern wav.files etc. Since I have both versions of GNBNA (German version Burning Steel) – the older floppy disc version and the CDROM version 1.2 – I would like to add, that sound issues seem to be handled easier with the floppy disc version. With the CDROM version I’ve experienced sound stuttering problems from time to time, choosing the thunder board within the sound.exe file seems to be the best choice. Perhaps you will have other or even better results with other settings, anyway, I would be gratefule for every hint on that matter.

Quote:
Strange how Fighting Steel moved away from the FP action inside the ship. As far as I know no-one has really attempted this for a BB since the early nineties ( along with Jutland and maybe Task Force 1942 ?) All were DOS games , yes ? ..... Before my time as a PC gamer LOL.

Yes it’s really a market gap. Again, let me know if you have problems with the installation.
horsa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNBNA installed successfully with DOSBOX but my machine is playing no sound at all. I've tried configuring from SOUND.exe but nothing seems to allow the PC to play the sound. Sad
HS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the DOSBox FAQs? I'll try to send a longer reply tomorrow.
HS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horsa,

Do you use DOSBox?

Have you activated some relevant sound options in the DOSBox config file ?

Have you activated the sound option within the game itself?

Also check the gnbna site for relevant tipps on sound issues.

Since I use floppy disk and CDROM version of the game it seems to me that the CDROM is a bit more problematic when it comes to sound. After saving a game I have no sound from time to time when loading the saved game. What I do to get rid of this is to start playing with the gnbna sound.exe and the DOSBox config until the sound returns.

If nothing works enjoy the game without sound. It’s a strategic game after all and the game is still worth it. Thumbs Up

Regards
HS
HS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, "Do you use DOSBox?" was strictly speaking not necessary. Embarassed Just checked the GNBNA site, there is lot of possibly helpful remarks under the technical help section.
horsa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the site ( thanks) It seems the sound card I have is " almost impossible to congigure" ..... so that explains my problem . I loaded and tried on an old 98 machine and this ran the sound OK. At least there was some sort of synthetic music that came on before the machine curled up and died ( the resaon it was moithballed ) .. I never actually got to the gunnery bit .

So for the moment it looks my choices are no sound or no game. Very Happy
turnerg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horsa, Imagine walking on the decks of the USS Texas, in real-time 3D, just like at the subclub meet.... Rock

Better yet......DREADNAUGHT (I know you'd love that!)

Personally, I'd love for DC2 not to be DC2, but Surface Command, maybe throw in an element of strategy, allowing you to command a whole task force, with carriers, so you can plan anti sub patrols, replenish at sea, do hunter/killer stuff... it could tie in perfect with SH3, so that the surface players could control a whole h/k group against the wolfpacks. wouldnt that be fun?

Then have massive BB on BB slugfests.....YES!!!! And I could paint ALL the ships with perfect, accurate patterns b/c hopefully there's NO MORE TILING IN THE TEXTURES!!!!!!!! :hulk:
horsa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time no see, soldier. Very Happy

Doesn't all this seem a little .... well .... tame ...after you've sampled the real thing Very Happy

Yep, nothing to compare with walking the decks of a real dreadnought ( even if it's not the original grandaddy of them all). Cool
Next month I'm attending an international conference at the NMM in London on Dreadnought. Can you imagine ... talking about nothing except dreadnought for three days .... Cool

I'm sure there's a surface combat sim in development somewhere Wink and when it comes the textures must be a lot more user friendly . Thumbs Up
HS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems the sound card I have is " almost impossible to congigure"

That seems a bit strange since DOSBox seems to simulate old sound cards (see config file where Adlib and others are mentioned. :hmm: I’m using Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128 (bought in 2001) without serious sound problems.
Dargo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty vacant bump
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter II, Destroyer Command & Classic Subsims All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: