Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

New coop mission : CO4 Surgical Hammer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: New coop mission : CO4 Surgical Hammer Reply with quote

Hi all

A new cooperative mission
could be played only if both the 688i and the OHP are manned, so, not for a single player.

http://okof4.free.fr/missions/DW/CO4_Surgical_Hammer_v1.02.mu

Mission summary :

22 August 2007

despite many warnings, IRAN has now started to produce enriched uranium.
Iranian government claim it's for civilian use, but this uranium could be used also for military purpose.

US government, after consultation and agreement of NATO countries, organised a strike to destroy uranium stock and hardware recently sold by Moscow to Tehran to enrich the uranium.

Iranian found an unexpected help with Russians, because Moscow need to improve his influence in this area.
Not only uranium manufacture, but also military hardware was sold by russians, including a destroyer and some fighters to strengthen the Iranian defense against eventual attack.

A 688i and an OHP were sent to strike the Iranians installations.
The mission of this force is to neutralize the stock of enriched Uranium, and to destroy hardware, sold by russians, susceptible to produce it, before this hardware reach the nuclear installation.

There is 2 naval base susceptible to shelter the hardware. We don't know yet which one is the right one.
You will have a message to confirm the hard target ID during the mission (when OHP or 688i -and not the helo- will reach the datum).
this is the main target for the strike.

The secondary target is a building in a land base, where the futur enriched Uranium is stocked at this time.
This target is a soft one, it's only one building, and will need a surgical strike.
Near this building, there is lots of other building that shouldn't be
destroyed.

The goal is to show to Iran they couldn't scorn an international decision, and not to start a war with them.
So, the soft target should be destroy without collateral damages, and this couldn't be done with TLAM.
This is a job for the OHP with
76mm or for the Helos with hellfires.

Unfortunatly, the 688i had a serious warning with his reactor some hours ago. And this could conduct to a strong problem during the mission.
But this is the only US submarine in this sector, and it have to do the mission anyway.
be ready to react at any reactor warning.

The group is approaching the Iranian coast, still indetected.
At this time, iranian are not aware of the US presence, and this will be an important element of surprise.
The objective is to reduce the Iranian forces before they understand they are attacked, then proceed to the strike.

With the destroyer, iranian sub are expected, consisting of a KILO, a Victor III recently sold by Russian, and an Agosta, recently sold by French.
The air threat will consist of Sukhoi-33, TU-142 bear and some ASW helos, coming from the near airport.

As there is also lots of civilian traffic on this airport, you couldn't attack it, and you will need to deal with inflight aircrafts all along the mission.
You can engage them as you wish, but be carefull of civilian aircrafts.

The key of this mission is to strike fast and strong, preserving your stealth until the last moment, before they realise they are attacked.

This mission is designed for at least 2 players (1 in 688i and 1 in OHP), but as the OHP will be a bit overloaded of work, 2 humans in the OHP won't be luxury.
So, 5 humans will be more confortable (2 in OHP, 1 in 688i, 1 in each MH-60)
This mission could be played also with only 2 skilled humans (one on 688i and one on the OHP) but not solo.

Be advised this is a VERY difficult mission, and you will probably need some tries to go only over the first DDG problem.

I started this coop in august last year ... and after many MP tests, I think it's now time for release.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: New coop mission : CO4 Surgical Hammer Reply with quote

OKO wrote:
Unfortunatly, the 688i had a serious warning with his reactor some hours ago. And this could conduct to a strong problem during the mission.
But this is the only US submarine in this sector, and it have to do the mission anyway.
be ready to react at any reactor warning.

This sounds really low prob. For one thing, American reactors are generally considered fairly reliable, for another, the USN is quite scared that a single nuclear accident will stop them from being able to use nukes forever (which is part of the reason why they spend so much effort making them reliable in both men and equipment - to the possible detriment of other areas according to some observers).

Short version: If the reactor ran a little hot during its test today, the SSN's out, especially seeing this mission is not exactly essential to the survival of America or anything.

Have it collide with a fishing boat or something just before this accident instead, so it broke something.
OKO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you talk me about a briefing change finally.
You are right about the fact US have reliable reactors.

Even if I remember something about a reactor ... not so reliable, named ... three miles island.
But this doesn't prevent USA to come back to civilian nuke power, these late times, for economical and strategical reasons.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: New coop mission : CO4 Surgical Hammer Reply with quote

Kazuaki Shimazaki II wrote:
Short version: If the reactor ran a little hot during its test today, the SSN's out, especially seeing this mission is not exactly essential to the survival of America or anything.
Hay its war, if you have to deploy with a busted reactor hay S*hit happens. I remember hearing about a time when the USS Halibut deployed with a coke can used as a circuit breaker in its reactor! You may end up glowing a little to prevent the people at home from glowing a lot... Wink
suBB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKO wrote:
Well, you talk me about a briefing change finally.
You are right about the fact US have reliable reactors.
Even if I remember something about a reactor ... not so reliable, named ... three miles island.
But this doesn't prevent USA to come back to civilian nuke power, these late times, for economical and strategical reasons.

i find this interesting OKO, and will definately check this out(coop map)
about busted reactors, eventhough fairly reliable, anything is possible.. when she was set to sail all checked out.. so at that point the welfare of the ship is in the hands of the crew... all a busted reactor takes is a few misreports of maintaince procedures from the reactor tech...
so in a scenario as such, the fairly reliable reactor isnt to blame, maintainance crew is...
how would simulate a fuxxored reactor, 688 ownship spwan w/ damage done already??? coolies Thumbs Up
OKO.. include busted reactor factor in, man that would be awesome..
an coordinated strike w OHP is key under these conditions...
OKO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suBB wrote:

well I didn't say you will have a problem, I said a problem could occurs Wink
50% of chance, at random places.
And if you do'nt have the right reaction in short time ... you die (everything broken on the sub)

if you like the "accident" concept, I made a tutorial with 1 out of 3 different accident randomly generated on this scenario (reactor / mine hit / flooding) =>

http://okof4.free.fr/missions/DW/tutorials/sub_accident.zip

As I know, now, how to examine each sounds existing in DW, I've probably had changed the .wav if I didn't forgot ...
I dig it a bit better in this coop, using every sound DW could gave me for that.
suBB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKO wrote:
suBB wrote:

well I didn't say you will have a problem, I said a problem could occurs Wink
50% of chance, at random places.
And if you do'nt have the right reaction in short time ... you die (everything broken on the sub)
if you like the "accident" concept, I made a tutorial with 1 out of 3 different accident randomly generated on this scenario (reactor / mine hit / flooding) =>
http://okof4.free.fr/missions/DW/tutorials/sub_accident.zip
As I know, now, how to examine each sounds existing in DW, I've probably had changed the .wav if I didn't forgot ...
I dig it a bit better in this coop, using every sound DW could gave me for that.

right on OKO Thumbs Up this would add an interesting twist, nothing ever goes as planned.... id think that worst case(aside from 100% damage) could compromise the mission.. cant wait to try it
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New coop mission : CO4 Surgical Hammer Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
.... I remember hearing about a time when the USS Halibut deployed with a coke can used as a circuit breaker in its reactor!

I never heard that story Surprised , but when nuclear propulsion was still new, people did a lot of stupid things Rolling Eyes
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New coop mission : CO4 Surgical Hammer Reply with quote

Bill Nichols wrote:
TLAM Strike wrote:
.... I remember hearing about a time when the USS Halibut deployed with a coke can used as a circuit breaker in its reactor!

I never heard that story Surprised , but when nuclear propulsion was still new, people did a lot of stupid things Rolling Eyes
Go check out Spy Sub by Roger C. Dunham (ISBN# 0-451-40797-0) page 276. Neutral\
OKO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuke subs are the only vehicles were you need to give more coke to slow down
lol Joking
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: