Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Air dropped torps and Shallow waters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OneShot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as long as there are other useable exploits around like the thing with the masts, I don't have a problem with having a "counter" exploit who allows safer tactics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr.Sid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What 'thing with the masts' ? Surprised
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus7 wrote:
Why shouldn't a subrock fly to target at low altitude? Wouldn't this make it harder to detect/destroy by surface units, and also allow for usage in shallower waters?

Finally, is there a reason why they fly a ballistic trajectory even if launched horizontally?
Simple physics. Potential and Kinetic energy. So shoot a missile high up in the air it gets a lot of potential energy and can travel farther.

Dr.Sid wrote:
Well .. there are sea-skimmer rocket torpedoes .. don't know the name but russian destroyer throwed 6 at me yesterday.
SS-N-14 'Silex' missiles from either a Udaloy or Kara class warship.

The only reason they are a sea-skimmer is that IRL they have a ASuW capability.
OneShot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non detectability of Sub Masts in DW unless they emit something actively (ie Radar) as well as you don't see a sub at PD (or shallower - but before breaching the surface) in the IR cam, but you can watch active countermeasures quite perfectly or the non existence of a wake for the masts ...

Till thats fixed, I'm quite happy that I can lob torpedos from outside the SAM range even tho it's not that realistic. Btw. according to Beer, High Altitude Drops of torps 8000ft and above were (or maybe are still) part of the training.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
goldorak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneShot wrote:
Well, as long as there are other useable exploits around like the thing with the masts, I don't have a problem with having a "counter" exploit who allows safer tactics.

Agree 100% Yep
Dr.Sid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes .. this one .. wake would be nice. IR signature too. That's why P3 has camera isn't it ?
With clean water and bright sand, even helo could really 'see' the sub. Not that I think that helos (especially the pinging ones from LWAMI 3.02) are not dangerous enough.
I guess also radio masts should emit something when sending contact to the link. But that would need more controls .. and radio buoys would come handy (as they are used IRL).
I've read somewhere about non-trackable laser comunications to satelite. Is it really used IRL ?
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NastyHyena wrote:
Back to the subject of air-dropped toys. If the water is too shallow for effective torpedo deployment, could one not use air-dropped mines? Kind of a poor-man's depth bomb with a proxy fuse?

You need to get it within 150m or 100m depending on the mine. (Depends on what they are set to in the database) That's a very small distance, especially when you consider the inaccuracy of buoy bearing lines etc, and the fact that you have to measure a second ahead for the pipper which tells you where the weapon should land. (And I say should, because it seems to be inaccurate beyond that one second from firing to actual release.)

At least the 2000lb will be the death of any neutrals within a few miles, too. And if you miss, well... it would just be a matter of time before some ship ran into it... (Unless, like modern land mines does now, they use time fuses too... say, a year for a sea mine) - or it would create additional problems for a later torpedo drop. (At least while they work as CMs - did LWAMI change this?)

And it has to be shallow - since an akula, at least, can go deeper than its deep setting + sensor range. I've had an akula pass right beneath a 2000lb mine without it detonating. The vertical line would slice the sub in a left and a right side...
OneShot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about that either (LwAmi changing it), but MaHuJa pointed out a good use for the mines ... Air dropped Countermeasures. This can save your day or the day of a friendly/neutral and it really works. I did that myself once or twice, just have to put that mine squarely in the path of the torpedo and there ya go.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: