Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

[FAQ] Trouble Hosting/Connecting to an MP Game...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Multiplayer Matchup
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: [FAQ] Trouble Hosting/Connecting to an MP Game... Reply with quote

For those who are having difficulty connecting to a multi-player game, there are two things you should try:

I) Edit your "dangerouswaters.ini" file and add "IPv4" to replace "default" in the [MultiPlayer] area of the INI, listed after the .AdapterName field.

.GamePasswordRequired No
    .GamePassword ""
    .HostMultiStationGame No
    .AllowAllSPs No
    .TCPDirectQuery Yes
    .TCPDirectQueryAddress ""
    .TCPPort "default"
    .AdapterName "default" (change to "IPv4")
...Or...

II) Delete your "dangerouswaters.ini" file, this will create a default "IPv4" connection next time the game runs and makes you a new INI file.
(NOTE: You will lose any graphics options tweaks/settings you may have made as they will be reset to defaults).

... If all else fails...

III) If you continue to have difficulties, please consult the Multi-player portion of the README.txt file that was included in your game installation directory (see below):

Multiplayer Information from the DW README.txt wrote:

C. Multiplayer

1) The IP address shown in the Gameroom for the Host in Multiplayer is the local IP address and may not be the IP address needed by other players to join your hosted game. One method to determine the IP address for your computer with respect to the rest of the Internet is to browse the website:

http://www.myipaddress.com/
That website will display the IP address clients will need to use in order to join a Multiplayer game. Also, if you have a firewall installed and active it may not allow you to connect in a Multiplayer game.

2) SCS-DW uses DirectPlay 9.0c for its Multiplayer connectivity. In order to connect to other players in a Multiplayer game, it may be necessary to open ports in the range 2302-2400 in your firewall and/or router for TCP and UDP packets.

3) SCS-DW attempts to determine which network adapter your computer is using when connecting in Multiplayer games. Sometimes this default selection is incorrect and can prevent connections to/from other players in Multiplayer games.
In order to determine if this default selection is causing problems, first start SCS-DW and "Host" a game. At the Gameroom screen, the adapter that was chosen by SCS-DW will be displayed in the chat window. It is suggested that you write this down. It may look similiar to the following:

"Local Area Connection - IPv4 - 192.1.168.69"
Then using Windows Explorer, browse to the directory where SCS-DW was installed (DEFAULT: C:\Program Files\Sonalysts Combat Simulations\Dangerous Waters) and open the file "adapters.txt".

The following is an example "adapters.txt" file:

This file contains all adapters found on this system:
    Local Area Connection - IPv6 - fe80::203:47ff:fef8:f60e
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface - IPv6 - fe80::5445:5245:444f
    6to4 Tunneling Pseudo-Interface - IPv6 - 2002:c001:c845::c001:c845
    Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface - IPv6 - fe80::5efe:192.1.168.69
    Local Area Connection - IPv4 - 192.1.168.69
    SBCDSL - IPV4 - 68.132.123.45
The adapter that SCS-DW will pick is most likely the "Local Area Connection" adapter, but in order to play on the Internet with other players, SCS-DW would need to know to pick the adapter whose address matches the one displayed when browsing to http://www.myipaddress.com/ (as described in Step 1).

In order to force SCS-DW to pick another adapter you need to edit the file"dangerouswaters.ini" as follows:

Scroll down inside the "dangerouswaters.ini" file to find the keyword:

.AdapterName "IPv4"
In the example "adapters.txt" file shown above, the .AdapterName keyword would need to be changed to:

[list].AdapterName "SBCDSL - IPV4"
    After making the change, save the "dangerouswaters.ini" file.

It is recommended that the numerical address portion of an adapter be left out of the .AdapterName. This will allow SCS-DW to still connect succcesfully if your ISP changes the IP address being used. (This is common with cable internet connections.)
Looney11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In view of this, i've changed these settings but found my Zonealarm firewall unable to cope with multiple people connectin to my system. 1 or 2 was no problem, but more weren't allowed.

As of now, I switch off my ZA firewall, i have opened up ports 2302 and 2400 and have no problem hosting a MP game, last time i did it we were with 6 people running np for 30 minutes or more.

Regretfully, the game CTD'd on my PC, leacing the clients to bite the dust Sad
Kapitan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even with my firewalls off and router firewall off i still cannot connect
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitain wrote:

Perhaps this thread is of some help?

http://seawolves.org/bulletin_board/board/messages/1580/1554.html?1123804564
Sorry, isn't there anylonger. Embarassed

Last edited by Fish on Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bellman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - it was there but not now. :hmm:

Last edited by Bellman on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
ReubenJames

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started up Hyperlobby Pro 3.8.95. There are no games named "Dangerous Waters". Is it used for DW? Or I have to connect directly after some kind of pre-game arrangement?
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have the public test version of HL. There is a sticky thread on the BFC forums with the link.
ReubenJames

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does BFC stand for? Damn
Bellman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Battlefront Com.

I will refrain from posting a link to their forum.
drEaPer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Kapitain wrote:

Perhaps this thread is of some help?

http://seawolves.org/bulletin_board/board/messages/1580/1554.html?1123804564

Dead link. Is the thread still somewhere?

Also, can someone tell me what ports I need to open for DW?
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to open ports 2302-2400 for both protocols.

It is also listed in the quote of a post by Jamie near the top of this thread.
moose1am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: [FAQ] Trouble Hosting/Connecting to an MP Game... Reply with quote

Jamie:
Is this fixed for us when we install the 1.03 build 367 Patch?

How do we play online against others in the new gamespy software that installed with the new 1.03 patch?

Jamie wrote:
For those who are having difficulty connecting to a multi-player game, there are two things you should try:

I) Edit your "dangerouswaters.ini" file and add "IPv4" to replace "default" in the [MultiPlayer] area of the INI, listed after the .AdapterName field.

.GamePasswordRequired No
    .GamePassword ""
    .HostMultiStationGame No
    .AllowAllSPs No
    .TCPDirectQuery Yes
    .TCPPort "default"
...Or...

II) Delete your "dangerouswaters.ini" file, this will create a default "IPv4" connection next time the game runs and makes you a new INI file.
(NOTE: You will lose any graphics options tweaks/settings you may have made as they will be reset to defaults).

... If all else fails...

III) If you continue to have difficulties, please consult the Multi-player portion of the README.txt file that was included in your game installation directory (see below):

C. Multiplayer

1) The IP address shown in the Gameroom for the Host in Multiplayer is the local IP address and may not be the IP address needed by other players to join your hosted game. One method to determine the IP address for your computer with respect to the rest of the Internet is to browse the website:

That website will display the IP address clients will need to use in order to join a Multiplayer game. Also, if you have a firewall installed and active it may not allow you to connect in a Multiplayer game.

2) SCS-DW uses DirectPlay 9.0c for its Multiplayer connectivity. In order to connect to other players in a Multiplayer game, it may be necessary to open ports in the range 2302-2400 in your firewall and/or router for TCP and UDP packets.

3) SCS-DW attempts to determine which network adapter your computer is using when connecting in Multiplayer games. Sometimes this default selection is incorrect and can prevent connections to/from other players in Multiplayer games.
In order to determine if this default selection is causing problems, first start SCS-DW and "Host" a game. At the Gameroom screen, the adapter that was chosen by SCS-DW will be displayed in the chat window. It is suggested that you write this down. It may look similiar to the following:

Then using Windows Explorer, browse to the directory where SCS-DW was installed (DEFAULT: C:\Program Files\Sonalysts Combat Simulations\Dangerous Waters) and open the file "adapters.txt".

The adapter that SCS-DW will pick is most likely the "Local Area Connection" adapter, but in order to play on the Internet with other players, SCS-DW would need to know to pick the adapter whose address matches the one displayed when browsing to http://www.myipaddress.com/ (as described in Step 1).

In order to force SCS-DW to pick another adapter you need to edit the file"dangerouswaters.ini" as follows:

.AdapterName "IPv4"
In the example "adapters.txt" file shown above, the .AdapterName keyword would need to be changed to:

It is recommended that the numerical address portion of an adapter be left out of the .AdapterName. This will allow SCS-DW to still connect succcesfully if your ISP changes the IP address being used. (This is common with cable internet connections.)
moose1am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: [FAQ] Trouble Hosting/Connecting to an MP Game... Reply with quote

Jamie:
Is this fixed for us when we install the 1.03 build 367 Patch?

How do we play online against others in the new gamespy software that installed with the new 1.03 patch?

Jamie wrote:

.GamePasswordRequired No
    .GamePassword ""
    .HostMultiStationGame No
    .AllowAllSPs No
    .TCPDirectQuery Yes
    .TCPPort "default"
...Or...

... If all else fails...

C. Multiplayer

.AdapterName "IPv4"

-moose-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, im unable to host successfully with more then 1 opponent on gamespy.. one can join fine, but no one else can. this just happened to someone else while we were trying to set a game up, too, so i dont think its just me

my ports are forwarded fine too

Sad
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie wrote:
It might helps to open up port 6073 in addition to the ports 2300-2400 that the DW Readme suggests (link to MS knowledgebase with the info).
    ========================
    If using DirectX 8 or a later version...
    ========================
    Connection // Ports for Client Configuration // Ports for Host Configuration
    Initial UDP Connection // 6073 Outbound // 6073 Inbound
    Subsequent UDP Inbound // 2302-2400 // 2302-2400
    Subsequent UDP Outbound // 2302-2400 // 2302-2400
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Multiplayer Matchup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: