Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Realism v. Playability
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaQueen wrote:
Bill Nichols wrote:
It's up on my site now. I'm looking forward to hearing what others think about SeaQueen's mission. Yep

Hi Bill!

"Executive Order 12938" is not mine. As much as I love getting credit for stuff, it's always best to only take it for things one does. Smile

Must be getting old Embarassed meant to say "Kara Sea Strategic ASW"

Damn

sorry...
Kapitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before seawolves i didnt care if i killed a nutrel (biological) but now i have to avoid them Damn

but sounds like a good mission i would like to try it and see
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellman wrote:
I found the Typhoon after 10 hours game time strictly Truth off !! But.........................................she found me first. Argh

The first time I played it and found the boomer, my torpedo whiffed and I got hit by the counterfire. I hate that.

Quote:

A close look at the map narrowed down the places a sneaky Boomer might hide -
(Or be hidden by an even sneekier scenario designer Wink ) But a rerun will prove whether I was
just lucky - in finding a 'needle in a haystack ! Surprised (Lucky - I sat on the durned thang ! Damn )

There's nothing fancy about where the submarine is. He's uniformly distributed anywhere in the SSBN OP AREA.

Quote:

BTW I did seriously miss my SW. :hmm:

Feel free to modify it if you want.

Quote:
Nice work SQ - yes I'm going to 'play it again Sam !' Neutral\

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wanted to make a scenario where I felt good about the time scales and distances involved, as well as the environmental issues. I really don't like scenarios where the pace of things is totally wrong, and it's only hard because it really sticks you in the middle of things for which you're totally unprepared.
Bellman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No AAR to spoil anything but just some general feedback on my mistakes which might help other
players of this scenario.

A postmortem (sic) showed although I thought I had been taken out with a short range 'shotgun' I had missed
a silent passive she sent earlier at 9.6 nm, while undertaking a quick burst of short term gametime acceleration.

With a vast area to search, in this my first run, I calculated that maintaining speed at 5 knots I could
undertake alternate periods of normal and accelerated gametime. So five minutes accelerated = .25 nm appx.
Then scour NB for 5 mins. then accel. etc so on.(Safe eh !).......................
Wrong - missed that passive, missed the ghost tonal !! On rerunning from a nearby 'save point' -
At 9.6 nm the single tonal was ghostly and intermittent. The result of some very tricky SSP conditions.

So for my next run in the Kara Sea :-
Lesson 1. - Dont even think of partial gametime acceleration !!
Lesson 2. - Live in NB and constantly scan.
No shortcuts - constant vigilence is the price of success. Now over the timeframe thats quite a tall order,
so I propose watches of 2 hours to maintain peak (?) alertness.

Coffee only !! Wink
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellman wrote:
No shortcuts - constant vigilence is the price of success. Now over the timeframe thats quite a tall order,
so I propose watches of 2 hours to maintain peak (?) alertness.

Coffee only !! Wink

Yeah... I noticed that too. Most simulations have sensor issues related to time accelleration. There's various reasons for it. So, yeah... time accelleration is risky.

I've also noticed that operator attention can be a big factor in what your detection range is. In spite of the shallow water and marginal ice, I was able to get a faint PNB tonal at ~23 nm. I'm not sure how realistic that is. Something I'll have to look into I guess. I wonder if I used a more lossy bottom... huuuum...

If you were clever, you could almost put together a whole solution using just the occaisional sniff of a PNB tonal in the tens of Hz range.
Bellman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Well ''what a difference a day makes !''

Second time around mounted in my SW I hit a surface duct and am working the TMA after two tonals
on a target starting at 37 nm and solidifying at 33 nm.

With every chance she will ghost-out and her partner lurking this is going to get a little interesting. Cool

''Gone fishing........'' I owe that sucker !! Argh
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaQueen wrote:
There's nothing fancy about where the submarine is. He's uniformly distributed anywhere in the SSBN OP AREA.

Ahem... "distribution" implies there is more than one (and I don't think across games qualifies). That made me read it as equivalent to "in pieces, spread across the op area". Surprised
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaHuJa wrote:

Ahem... "distribution" implies there is more than one (and I don't think across games qualifies). That made me read it as equivalent to "in pieces, spread across the op area". Surprised

Across games is fine by me. Each game is a random trial, and I assume that the random number generator that the game uses for random start boxes obeys the uniform distribution. That's what I mean when I say the red sub is uniformly distributed across the SSBN OP AREA. :huh:
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaHuJa wrote:

Across games is fine by me. Each game is a random trial, and I assume that the random number generator that the game uses for random start boxes obeys the uniform distribution. That's what I mean when I say the red sub is uniformly distributed across the SSBN OP AREA. :huh:
Bellman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile SQ - rather than continue to post what in effect could be seen as a quasi- AAR, I have poted a follow up
in DW 'classification' about some extra powerful NB reception.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: