Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Another sub movie for Enigma.....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Another sub movie for Enigma..... Reply with quote

It's a guilty pleasure because of it's "unrealism" but I have found a sub movie sort of under the radar as it were.....
"Murphy's War" Starring Peter O'Toole (Lawrence of Arabia)
Murphy....an Irish merchantman is witness to, and victim of a ruthless Uboat attack near war's end somewhere off the coast of South America....(obviously we know that the unwarranted killing of fellow seaman by U-boats were rare...but bear with me here...The movie is a bit campy, but the story isn't too bad and I'm sort of a Peter O'Toole fan)
He is rescued and nursed back to health by the natives....Waiting for the day when he can inflict his revenge upon this sub....Well.....With out giving it away, he doesn't have to wait long....
Paramount left a lot to be desired when it came to going into detail about recreating the U-boat.....It's sort of a mutant cross between the body of a type VII and conning tower of a XXI.....But hey...this movie was made in 1971 so the budget to find an actual working U-boat, or to even recreate one back then just wasn't there. But the crew is bearded and salty...and the airial combat shots from the seaplane are pretty good.
Worth at least renting.......
Torplexed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love the tag line (for 1971)......Murphy makes war...not love. Wink

kristoff1970

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Promo Poster.....Yeah...The movie isnt TOO bad. (that was my post by the way...I was not logged in when I wrote it.)
I actually own the movie and had just recently watched it again....It was one of those rainy crappy days outside and just popped it in the player.
Can't figure out what type of boat they are trying to portray, but I think it was SUPPOSED to be a type XXI.......At one point in the movie the U-boat commander mentioned (front) torpedo tubes 1 thru 6.
kristoff1970

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....Not exactly sure WHY a type XXI ocean going boat would be sitting around in an Amazonian River....Maybe the crew was just hanging out, buying their time for a few more days until wars end...Where they could then get drunk, scuttle the boat and mix in with the natives, spending the rest of their lives living roadside and selling beads or bananas......
August

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kristoff1970 wrote:
Yeah....Not exactly sure WHY a type XXI ocean going boat would be sitting around in an Amazonian River....Maybe the crew was just hanging out, buying their time for a few more days until wars end...Where they could then get drunk, scuttle the boat and mix in with the natives, spending the rest of their lives living roadside and selling beads or bananas......

It's been awhile since i saw the movie but i believe they were hiding out while repairing damage to the boat.
Pax Melmacia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not exactly sure WHY a type XXI ocean going boat would be sitting around in an Amazonian River

You think that's odd? Not too long ago we had that movie with a Confederate ironclad - a craft that was barely stable in t rivers - making its way to the Arabian desert . . .

Hollywood's current philosophy: "Forget logic. Just put in a lot of explosions, wire stunts, CGI and sunglasses."
Pax Melmacia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of silly old sub movies I watched The Incredible Mr. Limpet last week. It had the works: Roomy and tidy U-Boats whose crews and surroundings were still spotless after making it to American waters, German scientists with swastika armbands on their lab coats, heiling Hitler at every chance. Torpedo Number Six being shot out of the bow. Ah, the nostalgia.
August

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pax Melmacia wrote:
You think that's odd? Not too long ago we had that movie with a Confederate ironclad - a craft that was barely stable in t rivers - making its way to the Arabian desert ."

What movie was that?
Marcantilan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the best memories from "Murphy´s War", sitting at my uncle living room in the early 80´s, watching the movie in the open TV (cable, what´s that?).

As far as I remember:
The river was the Orinoco (Venezuela)
The boat intended to be a Type IX (really was a modified Guppy from the Venezuelan Navy)

But, the bottom line is I don´t care, the important thing is the movie remembers me those superb years of my childhood.
Oberon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohkay....that's one way to hijack (from the grave too!) a thread I suppose...

(For references once the post above this is deleted [which will probably happen within the next half a day, or less depending who's on guard duty] the above post was a load of link crapage)
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oberon wrote:
Ohkay....that's one way to hijack (from the grave too!) a thread I suppose...

(For references once the post above this is deleted [which will probably happen within the next half a day, or less depending who's on guard duty] the above post was a load of link crapage)

It's gone.

(Been deleting about one of those crap messages every day, grrrr!)

:hulk:
Bertgang

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

August wrote:
Pax Melmacia wrote:
You think that's odd? Not too long ago we had that movie with a Confederate ironclad - a craft that was barely stable in t rivers - making its way to the Arabian desert ."

What movie was that?

Never seen the movie, but it should be inspired to a novel of Clive Cussler.
If I'm not making confusion with another tale, the ironclad carried as prisoner Abraham Lincoln; the Union had to replace his kidnapped president with a figurant (later killed in a theater...)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: