Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

RSS Feed

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Comments to SUBSIM Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OneShot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: RSS Feed Reply with quote

Hello Neal,

how bout adding the ability to get a RSS Feed from the Subsim Forums?

The needed Mod/Plugin for this would be available here : http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=144548

Cheers
OS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gdogghenrikson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: RSS Feed? Reply with quote

OneShot wrote:
Hello Neal,

how bout adding the ability to get a RSS Feed from the Subsim Forums?

The needed Mod/Plugin for this would be available here : http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=144548

Cheers
OS

1. what is this supposed to do
2. dont get your hopes up, I gave on idea for a spell checker and I was shot down.

check out this post http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=42276
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gizzmoe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: RSS Feed? Reply with quote

gdogghenrikson wrote:
1. what is this supposed to do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_%28file_format%29:

"RSS is widely used by the weblog community to share the latest entries' headlines or their full text, and even attached multimedia files. (See podcasting, vodcasting, broadcatching, photocasting, picturecasting, screencasting, Vloging, and MP3 blogs.) In mid 2000, use of RSS spread to many major news organizations, including Reuters, CNN, and the BBC, until under various usage agreements, providers allow other websites to incorporate their "syndicated" headline or headline-and-short-summary feeds. RSS is now used for many purposes, including marketing, bug-reports, or any other activity involving periodic updates or publications.

A program known as a feed reader or aggregator can check RSS-enabled webpages on behalf of a user and display any updated articles that it finds. It is now common to find RSS feeds on major Web sites, as well as many smaller ones.

Client-side readers and aggregators are typically constructed as standalone programs or extensions to existing programs like web browsers. Such programs are available for various operating systems. See list of news aggregators.

Web-based feed readers and news aggregators require no software installation and make the user's "feeds" available on any computer with Web access. Some aggregators syndicate (combine) RSS feeds into new feeds, e.g. take all football related items from several sports feeds and provide a new football feed. There are also search engines for content published via RSS feeds like Feedster, Blogdigger or Plazoo.

On Web pages, RSS feeds are typically linked with an orange rectangle optionally with the letters XML or RSS."

Quote:
2. dont get your hopes up, I gave on idea for a spell checker and I was shot down.

Yeah, but not by Neal! He simply has to check a few important things if he wants to implement a spell checker:

- Is it good?

- Is it stable (no memory leaks or something)?

- What are the memory and CPU requirements?

- What happens in a "worst-case scenario", when 50 people use the spell checker at the same time? Can the server fully handle it or will our members start to complain about slow forum access time or does the server/phpbb/the spell checker crash?

It can be all quite complicated and time consuming to test.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OneShot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the use .. Gizzmoe just said it. A RSS Feed would open up the door to syndication of Posts/News from SubSim either visible on other webpages or by free available programs at your desktop. And this Mod doesnt include much work to make it work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have an RSS feed, I'll dig around and try to find the URL and post it here.
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**Checking**

Last edited by Neal Stevens on Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
OneShot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - one thing tho, is there a way to selectively choose the forum(s) to get information from? I would even be happy with information in the RSS feed that depicts from which forum this information comes.

Cheers
OS
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, let me see, the feed info is what you need. I have that ... somewhere. I'll check.
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/rss.php?f=2

Use the forum number for the forum you are trying to add the feed for. Does that help?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Comments to SUBSIM Review All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: