Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

My idea for a WW1 sub game
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdogghenrikson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-552Erich-Topp wrote:
Smile Just a thought to make things maybe a little easier for the designers to get the sim up and running. Is there any way that the SH3 U-boat sim "guts" of the program could be modified to accept the WW1 U-boat sim????. The reason being, the weather, the waves, the ships, etc are quite well done in SH3. How about superimpossing the WW1 subs and ships in the SH3 environment and of course change the date on the clock???? Just a thought.
Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Deamon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-552Erich-Topp wrote:
Smile Just happened to notice this forum on WW1 U-boat simulator. The U-boats look great so far with plenty of detail.

You are curtainly welcome Smile

Quote:
Anyways this message is for the guys developing the sim. My Grandfather was in WW1 on the German side. He was supposed to fight in the U-boat arm but at the last moment he was sent to the front in 1914 as they needed more infantry there. In 1914 when he had just joined the U-boat arm of the German forces, they lined up all the new recruits and 1/2 of them were sent directly to the front. He lived in Hamburg, Germany.

Thats very interesting. Did he survived ?

Quote:
So I hope that when you develop the sim that you include historically what it was like during that time period,

Hmm, not sure what you mean.

Quote:
so that I can experience what it would have been like for him had he stayed on the U-boats. Thanks, Erich

You mean a full u-boat experiance with all the other things than just tactics ?

U-552Erich-Topp wrote:
Smile Just a thought to make things maybe a little easier for the designers to get the sim up and running. Is there any way that the SH3 U-boat sim "guts" of the program could be modified to accept the WW1 U-boat sim????.

That sounds complicating and i see here alot of implications. To make all neccessery changes we would need the code. Than this still would be not our own engine. Our ambitions and developement scope require to posses an own engine where we can do what ever we want with it. I need the full fredome in order to achieve what i want the sim to be. Thus i need my own engine.

Quote:
The reason being, the weather, the waves, the ships, etc are quite well done in SH3. How about superimpossing the WW1 subs and ships in the SH3 environment and of course change the date on the clock???? Just a thought.

There are alot more changes need to be done than it might seem on the first look to make it WWI compatible. And as i made clear in my statements above, this approach would interfere with my developement goals.

So guys i fear you will have to be patient. But i want to make a serie of small releases instead to work forever on the big thing. So that you won't have to wait for ever.

Cheers,
Deamon
U-552Erich-Topp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Hi, As to the question " Did my Grandfather on my dads side survive the war, YES...........But he was stabbed once through the chest with a bayonet in hand to hand combat and........shot twice through the same leg. However.........his best friend did not survive the war and was killed in action. My Grandfather had to bury him and carved his headstone from wood (seeing as my Grandfather was a wood carver in Germany).

Another interesting thing is that my wifes Grandfather also served in WW1 on the Canadian side at most of the major battles as well......However he to was killed in action. So basically I have two related Grandfathers shooting at each other during WW1.

Anyway my Grandfather on my dads side immigrated to Canada in the 1920's and listened to WW2 on a short wave radio in his home. Short wave listening devices were forbidden to anyone of German decent. The RCMP raided his home but never found the radio (they also harassed him like crazy). During WW2 his relatives were being bombed in Hamburg, Germany likely by the pilots/bombardiers that my Grandfather on my moms side was training here in Canada. So basically I have one set of relatives bombing the other set of realitives during WW2.

As for war he ( Grandfather on my dads side) said "Niemals Wieder", meaning "Never Again" (would he fight).

As a footnote: I still have the WW1 French fighters helmet that he and his best friend shot down over the front during his service from 1914 to 1918.
U-552Erich-Topp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I just thought that using the SH3 engine would be easier since it is already developed......and I thought you would be able to refine the SH3 engine so that it works even better than it currently does.

Then I thought you could introduce the WW1 U-boats into the engine. This was just an idea to try to help you out. However I am not a software engineer so I don't know the answer to being able to make these ideas work, but it sounds like that is not a possiblity. I hope that the new environment that you are creating is as good or better than the SH3 environment that the U-boats operate in.

Even though SH3 has some bugs from time to time, the environment that the U-boats operate in is pretty good I have to say.

I wish you all the success with the new WW1 U-boat sim and look forward to it's release. Thanks again, Erich Topp U-552
gdogghenrikson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
smile I just thought that using the SH3 engine would be easier since it is already developed......and I thought you would be able to refine the SH3 engine so that it works even better than it currently does.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Deamon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-552Erich-Topp wrote:
Smile Hi, As to the question " Did my Grandfather on my dads side survive the war, YES...........But he was stabbed once through the chest with a bayonet in hand to hand combat and........shot twice through the same leg. However.........his best friend did not survive the war and was killed in action. My Grandfather had to bury him and carved his headstone from wood (seeing as my Grandfather was a wood carver in Germany).

Another interesting thing is that my wifes Grandfather also served in WW1 on the Canadian side at most of the major battles as well......However he to was killed in action. So basically I have two related Grandfathers shooting at each other during WW1.

That is one hell of a story.

Quote:
Anyway my Grandfather on my dads side immigrated to Canada in the 1920's and listened to WW2 on a short wave radio in his home. Short wave listening devices were forbidden to anyone of German decent. The RCMP raided his home but never found the radio (they also harassed him like crazy).

Where did he hide the radio ?

U-552Erich-Topp wrote:
Smile I just thought that using the SH3 engine would be easier since it is already developed......and I thought you would be able to refine the SH3 engine so that it works even better than it currently does.

Well, i would need the code and UBI will not give it to me or permit me to work with it. I choosed OGRE as the rendering component of my future engine. It's fine, open source and under steady developement with a great community and support.

Quote:
Then I thought you could introduce the WW1 U-boats into the engine. This was just an idea to try to help you out.

Well, i curtainly appreciate your moral support. It's always motivating to get some feedback.

Quote:
I hope that the new environment that you are creating is as good or better than the SH3 environment that the U-boats operate in.

Hard to predict at the current point at the very beginning i maybe will focus on fewer areas in order to refine them. This will be likely more a serie of small releases then a big one.

Quote:
Even though SH3 has some bugs from time to time, the environment that the U-boats operate in is pretty good I have to say.

Yeah maybe. But not in all regards. The environment i plan might become very different.

Quote:
I wish you all the success with the new WW1 U-boat sim and look forward to it's release. Thanks again, Erich Topp U-552

Thanks. You are welcome. Smile

Deamon
U-552Erich-Topp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile The shortwave radio was hidden upstair in their bedroom inside of the furniture. You'ld have no idea it was there unless you ripped the furniture apart. If my memory serves me correctly, it was in the small bedroom dresser.

I also know they had a hide away room in the bedroom. The door to this small room looked like the rest of the panelling on the wall so you couldn't see the door either. I've always wondered if they hid things (old photos, etc. from Germany) in this small room during the war. I always sensed that something important had gone on in the room at some time in the past. Just a feeling I always got when I went in there.
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-552Erich-Topp wrote:
Smile The shortwave radio was hidden upstair in their bedroom inside of the furniture.

What did they just had against short wave radios ?

Quote:
You'ld have no idea it was there unless you ripped the furniture apart.

Rip appart ? Wasn't there any door to it ?

Quote:
I also know they had a hide away room in the bedroom. The door to this small room looked like the rest of the panelling on the wall so you couldn't see the door either.

Cool. Why did they just build it ? Truly german Laughing

Quote:
I've always wondered if they hid things (old photos, etc. from Germany) in this small room during the war. I always sensed that something important had gone on in the room at some time in the past. Just a feeling I always got when I went in there.

Had they any hidden agenda ? :hmm:

Deamon
U-552Erich-Topp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Landed immigrants from Germany were not allowed to have any short wave radios during WW2, especially those who were in combat during WW1.

The dresser upstairs as I recall had a false panel at the bottom in the center of the dresser. It looked like a regular drawer but it wouldn't pull out. The radio was behind it and could be accessed from the rear of the dresser.

As for a hidden agenda, well let's just say that the RCMP hauled him away one time and said to him" If you try and do anything at against our side (the Allies), you won't be coming back". Anotherwords, you're dead if you try anything at all. The RCMP were dead serious about this. So any ideas that my Grandfather had in his mind were washed away. He just sat out WW2 and listened to the news, while his relatives were being bombed in Hamburg, Germany. The RCMP sat outside his house every night from dusk till dawn for the entire length of the war. You know I've often wondered who those RCMP officers were as I would love to talk to them now about it. However that was 60 years ago and I doubt any of them would be living anymore.

There were other stories though about his friends homes who lived near him. One of this friends had his porch railing ripped off his home because someone thought it contained the design of the nazi symbol in the iron railing. Some people over here are nuts.
Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-552Erich-Topp wrote:
Smile Landed immigrants from Germany were not allowed to have any short wave radios during WW2, especially those who were in combat during WW1.

They maybe feared that some imigrants could be spys and saboteurs and wanted to prevent them receiving orders via short wave radios ?

Quote:
The dresser upstairs as I recall had a false panel at the bottom in the center of the dresser. It looked like a regular drawer but it wouldn't pull out. The radio was behind it and could be accessed from the rear of the dresser.

Lol, he played with his live huh ?

Quote:
Some people over here are nuts.

Oh yeah.

BTW: Check your PM

Deamon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: