Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Book review "U-Boat U977" by Heinz Schaeffer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
August

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Book review "U-Boat U977" by Heinz Schaeffer Reply with quote

Copyright 1952
Autobiography
English language first edition, hardcover, 260 pages

(A somewhat reluctant) Introduction by Nicholas Monseratt.

This is the story of Schaeffers wartime experiences as a Kriegsmarine Officer and U-boat Commander. It encompasses his career from his days as a naval cadet in 1938 until he surrendered the U-977 at Buenos Aries Argentina in August of 1945.

I had read this book many years ago but hadn't revisited the work since, until recently when i found a copy in a used book store.

For those unfamiliar with the work, Shaeffer does a good job of describing the trainining and every day life of the U-boat sailor during WW2. His account, primarily of U977s last voyage, was written for two main reasons. First because no one else had written on the subject (as of 1952) and second to dispel the persistant rumors his boat had been used to transport Adolf Hitler and other high ranking Nazis to safety in the closing days of the war.

I recommend it (if you can find a copy) to anyone interested in U-Boats and the men who fought in them.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a goodie. I reread it about once a year.
August

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So someone has read this book.

What do you think about his story that he just wanted to surrender to an honorable opponent? I don't believe he smuggled Hitler of course but i find his reasons for going to Argentina a bit suspect.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know-I usually take people at face value, but you could be right.

What I like is the intro: "Don't believe the denials...these guys were all Nazis...but it's a good book anyway".
Torplexed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda funny. I bought my battered paperback copy at a used book store too...years ago. For a buck I believe. Smile

I find the author's (Heinz Schaeffer) facts kinda suspect at times. For example on pages 66-67 he mentions being on watch on a U-Boat during Christmas Eve 1942 that ran into and sank an American destroyer during a storm. Yet I can find no record of any Allied destroyer that was sunk on Christmas Eve 1942. Maybe just one of those fog of war (or memory) events perhaps.
August

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torplexed wrote:
Kinda funny. I bought my battered paperback copy at a used book store too...years ago. For a buck I believe. Smile

I find the author's (Heinz Schaeffer) facts kinda suspect at times. For example on pages 66-67 he mentions being on watch on a U-Boat during Christmas Eve 1942 that ran into and sank an American destroyer during a storm. Yet I can find no record of any Allied destroyer that was sunk on Christmas Eve 1942. Maybe just one of those fog of war (or memory) events perhaps.

Well he did say the destroyer hadn't spotted them and she went down immediately after being hit, so it's unlikely she could have got off a distress call. If radio silence procedures were being used, and i imagine they were, it's possible the DD was not missed for several days or even weeks.

On the other hand, his description in that same chapter (page 120 in my copy) of the U-boat which "all its engines put out of action by depth-charges, returned to base four months overdue, by sail", now that is very hard to believe.
August

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Steve wrote:
I don't know-I usually take people at face value, but you could be right.

What I like is the intro: "Don't believe the denials...these guys were all Nazis...but it's a good book anyway".

Yeah you can just feel Monsarrats loathing in every word he writes. I guess with just 7 years having passed since VE day the wounds were still pretty fresh...
Torplexed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the other hand, his description in that same chapter (page 120 in my copy) of the U-boat which "all its engines put out of action by depth-charges, returned to base four months overdue, by sail", now that is very hard to believe.

Yeah....forgot about that one. Sounds like the guy read a few too many Horatio Hornblower novels. Laughing
August

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torplexed wrote:
Yeah....forgot about that one. Sounds like the guy read a few too many Horatio Hornblower novels. Laughing

Arrr...
Marcantilan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the book years ago.
A friend of mine passed me an old copy signed by H. Schaeffer himself.
Well, I think it´s a good book, but its clearly written to excuse Herr Schaeffer from the accussations made in the late 40s: That he take Hitler to the Argentinian Patagonia after the war.
Or, to avoid suspicious reviews about the fate of the CL Bahia (and old Brazilian ship, lost for no reason AFTER the war ends)
So, sure it´s not an objetive book. Just one to avoid further inquiries. Some technical details, the use of schnorkel, the Uboots previously riden by Schaeffer, etc, sounds not true at least.
But damn good reading!
And H. Schaeffer surrender to Mar del Plata Submarine Base, 400 km south to Buenos Aires. The UBoote flag is still in the small base museum.
Partly OT, there´s a TON of books claiming Hitler escape in a sub and was seeing here in Argentina.

A fact... U 530 (surrender in MdP too) carried LOTS of cigarettes and champagne. A cargo sure for a VIP...
August

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, cigarettes and champagne fall under the general nautical category of plunder, and a chance to score swag like that wouldn't have been passed up by any sailor I ever met, German or otherwise.... Wink

It's a good sea tale though written by someone who at least should have known what he was talking about.
Marcantilan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone really interested in the subject, I could only recommend the EBook"Submarinos Alemanes en Argentina".

You could download that masterpiece from the local sub community site at:

http://www.elsnorkel.com/esp/mediateca.asp
Floater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good book. This thread has prompted me to read it again.
Bertgang

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcantilan wrote:

A fact... U 530 (surrender in MdP too) carried LOTS of cigarettes and champagne. A cargo sure for a VIP...

A cargo for a VIP, but not for Hitler; he didn't smoke.
Maybe for one of several other nazist misteriously disappeared.
Captain Strangelove

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really not too bad! Recently got an early edition on ebay. Hardcover, with an imprint (stamping?) of a snorkel covered with Alberich. I thought that was pretty nice!

Anyways, for one thing it is interesting as it lists the side effects of snorkeling for several weeks (mush everywhere!), but it also gives you an idea about the feeling of total helplesness in Germany early after the war.
If it had been published two or three decades later the author would have probably left most of those bitter feelings aside.

If you can get it, read it!

I am currently trying to get all first hand accounts by U-Boat or submarine servicemen. Will try to search this forum for a topic these days. There surely must be one!

Cheers

Kai
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: