Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Sub Books
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kapitan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bought a new book sea power and space any one read it ? im just starting it so if you have please dont spoil it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Rising Tide Reply with quote

Just finished reading 'Rising Tide: The Untold Story of Soviet submarines in the Cold War' by Peter Weir and Walter Boyne.

Rating: 3.5 (ouf of 5)

The book offers a glimpse into how the Soviet Navy was led by its commanders and the Politburo in Moscow. If anything, it shows that submariners were just as expendable as any soldier in the Red Army.

The writers, however, have concentrated too much on activities that took place in the 1950s and 1960s, whereas I think that activities and happenings in the 1970s and 1980s were much more interesting due to the Soviet Navy picking up steam in the field of technology. But alas, Weir and Boyne wrote nothing about either the impact of the Toshiba-Kongsberg scandal or the crisis of 1984, when NATO held an exercise which the KGB and GRu at first - and wrongly - interpreted as preparations to start a nuclear war.
(As I understand it, Moscow flushed the boomers and rushed them out to the Barents Sea and the Sea of Okhotsk. But thanks to the bravery of a double agent working at the GRu, the Reagan administration was informed about Moscow's anxiety and quickly made the Politburo understand that it was all an exercise aimed at testing strategic readiness.)

If it hadn't been for the chapter on the sinking of the Kursk, which gives the final explanation on how and why it sank, down to the last bolt of the 65-76 hydrogen-peroxide training torpedo, I would've rated the book 2.5, not 3.5. But even then I have qualms with this chapter, as the writers relied heavily on a bunch of retired Russian submariners for their info - submarines who had retired some time before the Kursk sank.

Other books I read:
- Red Storm Rising, Clancy (cool)
- Blind Man's Bluff, Sontag (informative as hell!)
- Red Phoenix, Bond (hmmmm)
- The Third World War, Hackett (kinda cool)
- The Fifty Years War, Friedman (OK but nothing special)
And no, I won't mention the utter cack written by that DiMercurio-fella
Perseus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DANG, the forum logged me out cuz of time issue. Sorry ppl, I wrote that piece on 'Rising Tide'.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

factual book liners tankers and merchant ships 5/10 because brief but factual and not all the good ships coverd
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Capn Tucker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got what has got to be the ultimate book on U-boats. Title is "Ubootwaffe, Kleine KampfverbÀnde 1939-45", by Waldemar Trojca.
It is 600 pages (!), 50 pages of color plates, many hundreds of photos, line drawings, and a stack of KM grid maps, including one of the entire world. Also has the final fates of every U-boat, and even the locations of all Allied warships and planes sunk/shot down by U-boats.
The book even has the official Kriegsmarine painting regulations for down to every last nut and bolt; invaluable for modelers. This is the best book on U-boats I have ever seen. It's rather pricey at $90 USD, but was worth every penny of it. If you can get past the expense, get this book before it's out of print... Thumbs Up
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: