Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Making Waves

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Indie Subsims
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Making Waves Reply with quote

just a lil progress report... actually, it's more of a non progress report...

i'm waiting for updates on two state of the art game engines i'm using, and have decided to hedge my bets against any failure on their parts by working on some code in the other game engines that i've been using...

if the new stuff doesn't pan out, i'm going to release the first game as is without the state of the art pixel shader graphics and effects...

i really can't delay much longer... anyways, here is a lil screenshot from the dungeon... from the third in the series (not even close to being done)...

in Blitz3D... a boomer plows through some rough seas in the North Atlantic... really rough seas... i think i over did it a lil on the wakes... plus, they look a lil like clouds instead of water... still gotta work to do on this, but the effect is there...

click on screenshot for a short (769k) video

also... two new sub models ready for the paint shop, from the second in the series...

the Tang Class

and the Grayback/Growler SSG

--Mike
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

I've been lurking in this forum on and off and I must say that your game looks excellent, and the early Cold War theme is very original and something I've been waiting for.

If I could throw in a word for the guys with the lower end system...Don't worry about the graphics. Make the gameplay amazing

Keep it up! Thumbs Up

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx PD...

as i turns out, i may have little choice as far as the graphics are concerned... this morning i just found out that the primary engine i was coding against won't have an essential update ready before end of August, early September...

... i can't wait that long, i might have to use what i have already, and sacrifice the latest and greatest graphics 'till the next version.

--Mike
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tang and Grayback very sweet. Yep I've been getting very intrested in the early Cold War era recently and I can't wait to see these boats in action.

I got to echo PD and say be kind to low end systems. Smile
Mulder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn man...it good

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx TLAM, Mulder... i just hope i don't dissappoint you guys...

anyways... in spite of the bad news concerning the delay in releasing the next version of the 3Impact engine, i'm trying to see what i can salvage and what compromises i can make if i decide to continue with it and forgo the bumpmapped water...

it's really hard to bite the bullet on this after seeing the pics from the Akella PT Boat sim... beautiful water... and playing with the SH3 water, but hey... what can i do...

this is what i've got so far without bumpmapped reflective water... it's not the super impressive stuff that i was hoping for, but still a bit above just plain jane textures... and most video cards will be able to handle this...

as you can see i've still got a few problems that have to be resolved before i can put this in the final running, that obvious sawtooth effect on the env map reflection has gotta be fixed... along with a few other small things... once those are resolved, then i can add the spray and wake that i've got in the Blitz version...

who ever said this was gonna be fun :doh:

--Mike
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense wrote:
thx TLAM, Mulder... i just hope i don't dissappoint you guys...

anyways... in spite of the bad news concerning the delay in releasing the next version of the 3Impact engine, i'm trying to see what i can salvage and what compromises i can make if i decide to continue with it and forgo the bumpmapped water...

it's really hard to bite the bullet on this after seeing the pics from the Akella PT Boat sim... beautiful water... and playing with the SH3 water, but hey... what can i do...

this is what i've got so far without bumpmapped reflective water... it's not the super impressive stuff that i was hoping for, but still a bit above just plain jane textures... and most video cards will be able to handle this...

as you can see i've still got a few problems that have to be resolved before i can put this in the final running, that obvious sawtooth effect on the env map reflection has gotta be fixed... along with a few other small things... once those are resolved, then i can add the spray and wake that i've got in the Blitz version...

who ever said this was gonna be fun :doh:

--Mike

So how goes your project Mike?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still racing along... doing work on the original WWII version for the past 3 days... enhancing the models and graphics...

will show a lil bit soon...

--Mike
Seeadler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT: but nice realtime wave rendering based on the Tessendorf paper
get the 30MB video at: http://eric.boissard.free.fr/waves.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the link Seeadler...

man, those look sooooo real... all mine waves are form a simple sin function applied to a vertex deformation algorithm...

--Mike
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat stuff. That's sea spray right ?

Always good to see new stuff from you Mike.

Deamon
nacra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time lurker, first time poster:

Just wanted to echo everyone else's comments that cutting edge graphics are not required, really the overall feel of the game, the scenarios and the systems are (I think) what sub simmers are looking for. And your game looks like it delivers!

Paul
http://sub-log.com

EDIT: I'd written that good graphics ARE required and meant the opposite. Sorry for the typo.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Indie Subsims All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: