Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Bronenosets Potyomkin

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drebbel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Bronenosets Potyomkin Reply with quote

Yesterday I was zapping (could not sleep) in my hotel room.

Then I stumbled on the 1925 Russian silent movie "Bronensets Potomkin" (had French subtitles). I had heard of this movie many times before but never watched it.

I found it breathtaking ! Can recommend this to you all.

Amazing that a 1925 !!!! movie can be so breathtaking.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015648/
ShadowWulf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, that’s interesting. I generally like foreign films. Have a feeling this movie will be really hard to find though; you remember what station/channel you saw it on.
Drebbel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowWulf wrote:
Hmmm, that’s interesting. I generally like foreign films. Have a feeling this movie will be really hard to find though; you remember what station/channel you saw it on.

Lol, foreign movies ??

We don't even have that genre in Holland. Probably because we are small and stand in the middle of the world. Very Happy

It will not hard to be found. Some people regard it as one of the best / most influencial war movies ever. You should be able to order it at any decent store. Just checked and it is only 7 US$ over at Amazon.

Think I saw it on TV5 (French channel)
Drebbel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else saw this movie ?

What did you think of it ?
August

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it awhile back. It was pretty good athough how accurate it was i can't say.
Oberon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battleship Potemkin?

I've heard of it, heard that it's an absolute classic, must hunt it down and watch it some time.
That's the film with the baby in the carriage going down the city steps, isn't it?
Pax Melmacia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Russian WW2 movies some time ago the former Soviet Union released a series of historical (official Soviet history, anyways) war movies. The company even went to the trouble of casting the movie with actors who are startlingly dead-ringers of their historical counterparts, from Stalin to Goebbels to General Vlasov of the anti-Soviet White Russian army. (The Germans were played by East Germans, tho their Hitler was a bit overweight.) It was mostly the eastern front although I do remember that Skorzeny's rescue of Mussolini was portrayed.

Subtitles? Didn't need 'em. The quality of the English dubbing was comparable to that of 'Das Boot'. (The Russians were dubbed into English whilst the Germans continued to speak German with the interpreter's voice speaking over it!)

Remember that faux-Tiger tank in "Private Ryan"? These guys did it first; they had whole columns of T-62s or T-55s with phony Tiger tank chassis.

All in all, I would love to have the complete collection. (I think three segments were made.)
Pax Melmacia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's the film with the baby in the carriage going down the city steps, isn't it?

Kee-rect. It was probably the movie's most chilling sequence; it was so unforgettable that it was reprised in 'The Untouchables' and a few other movies, I believe.
Pax Melmacia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lol, foreign movies ??

We don't even have that genre in Holland. Probably because we are small and stand in the middle of the world

I remember back in my high-school days (Seventies) second-rate theaters here in the Philippines were swamped with war movies made in places like the Balkans and Warsaw pact countries. (You had T-34/85s representing everything from Shermans to PzKwIVs) most were pretty abysmal, but quite a few were interesting.

I do remember one told from the viewpoint of a German Kommando who was part of that failed raid to kill or capture the Big Three (Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin) in Tehran. this was made long before 'tthe Eagle Has Landed'.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: