Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Radio floating wire...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowWulf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Radio floating wire... Reply with quote

im sure this is stated somewhere and im just missing it. Though i have checked the main manual as well as a few online ones and i cant find the accualy length of the radio floating wire. When released to its greatest length at what depth can the subs remain at and still be able to recieve transmitions. I would asume its the same from sub to sub but if not im mainly interested in the length for the Akula.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akula floating wire streams up to a mile i think have to check it out myself but a hint dont go above 16 knots it breaks and beyond 600 meters its useless
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShadowWulf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe cant go to much lower than 600m. That seems really long, but i guess i have never heard a length on the wire before. Ill go try it out, thanks.
richter111

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something for the generally useless knowlege department.

When Allied subs were tested in the cold waters of the great lakes outside of Manitowoc, they found that even submerged, the radios were able to recieve and transmit.

Not able to do that underwater in salt water

Ric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kapitan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a bit like the americans spending millions on a pen so they could write in space untill they went onboard mir and found the russians using pencils Rotfl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nydrre

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All it is is a pressurized ink cartridge... nothing too complicated... nice pen too, it writes well in many conditions.

Salinity has an affect on conductivity... probably why there is a salt water limit. But what about Radar in fresh water?
Kapitan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about using a pen in the artic cant do the ink freezes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: