Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Who was the CinC for U-Boats during WWI?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikimcbee

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Who was the CinC for U-Boats during WWI? Reply with quote

Who was the "Karl Donitz" of the German U-boot force in WWI? I found Commodore Andreas Michelsen took command in 1918, but who was the commander(s) during the war? I've been looking at: www.gwpda.org/naval That's one of the things they don't have listed. There's a lot of RN stuff though.

Also, Admiral Scheer was a pioneer in early submarine doctrine/tactics. What kind of tactics did he advocate?
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/n0000000.htm lists Michelson as U-boat Chief from 6/17 to 11/18. They also show no-one before him.
nikimcbee

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: I just found half of my answer and more questions... Reply with quote

I found the info about Ad. Scheer: http://richthofen.com/scheer/

Everywhere else I've looked, they only talk about the famous commaders, and German "High-Command", but no specific names. I looked up Michelsen in one u-boat book, and his name was not mentioned. Althought I just realized a book I can look in at home (when I get home).
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a book titled "The U-boat War: 1914-1918" somewhere in my 60 boxes I just got out of storage. I will institute a search later. I just came back from my afternoon run and want to veg for a while.
nikimcbee

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Hah! that's the book I have at home! Reply with quote

Are you sure you're not sneaking into my house to look at my library? I'll save you the "fun" of digging through boxes of books. I raced home and looked up Michelsen, and yup, yup, Chief of U-Boats was a new position as of 6.17. That "U-Boat War" book is a good book, I think I need to re-read it.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of anything anymore.
DAB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Who was the CinC for U-Boats during WWI? Reply with quote

nikimcbee wrote:
Who was the "Karl Donitz" of the German U-boot force in WWI? I found Commodore Andreas Michelsen took command in 1918, but who was the commander(s) during the war? I've been looking at: www.gwpda.org/naval That's one of the things they don't have listed. There's a lot of RN stuff though.

Also, Admiral Scheer was a pioneer in early submarine doctrine/tactics. What kind of tactics did he advocate?

In 1914, the post was titled U-boat Commodore and was occupied by a Commander Hermann Bauer. He was an early advocate of an offensive U-boat doctrine and advocated the use of U-boats against Merchant shipping prior to the British Blockade of Germany. In 1915 he planned the first "Un-restricted Warfare" plan for German U-Boats, deploying his craft to the then exceptional distances of the Western Approaches (West of the British Isles). However, his prediction that Neutrual ships could be deterred from trading with the UK was proven wrong.

Bauer also was an advocate for the rejection of Prize Law with regards to Submarines and in 1915 undertook a voyage in U-67 to see for himself the dangers that U-boats were encountering.

Source: Castles of Steel by Robert Massie. Herman Bauer can be found in the Index.
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who was the CinC for U-Boats during WWI? Reply with quote

DAB wrote:

Source: Castles of Steel by Robert Massie. Herman Bauer can be found in the Index.

In the index ? Can't see him there.

Deamon
Floater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Who was the CinC for U-Boats during WWI? Reply with quote

Deamon wrote:
DAB wrote:

His name is in the index of my copy, with several page numbers.
Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Who was the CinC for U-Boats during WWI? Reply with quote

Floater wrote:
Quote:

On whitch page is it ?

Deamon
DAB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Who was the CinC for U-Boats during WWI? Reply with quote

Deamon wrote:
Floater wrote:
Quote:

On whitch page is it ?

Deamon

Apologies, that was me being lazy at 1am in the morning.

pages 127, 514-16, 519, 520, 522, 552. These page references are for the UK hardback edition
Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh thanks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: