Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Color of U-Boat's lower hull?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pax Melmacia

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Color of U-Boat's lower hull? Reply with quote

Does this forum have a search function? The question I have is so obvious it's possible someone's already asked it. Anyways . . .

Just what color is a U-Boat's lower hull? It's hard to tell from B&W photos. Illustrations I've seen show dark grey or bright red. Which is correct? Or does the boat start off as grey below the waterline and then turns red as the sea's action exposes the primer underneath?
msxyz

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright red was the color of the protective paint applied to prevent rusting and/or proliferation of parasites (Schiffsbodenfarbe S.B.I rot 22a).

If there was enoug time the lower hull would have received an additional coating of grey paint (Schiffstarnfarbe Dunkel Grau 31/2). But usually the gray paint never extended below the waterline.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Dankerschoen! Domo arigato gozaimasu! (For your IJN avatar)

I'm making Kretschmer's U-99.
Drebbel

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Color of U-Boat's lower hull? Reply with quote

Pax Melmacia wrote:
Does this forum have a search function? The question I have is so obvious it's possible someone's already asked it. Anyways . . .

Just what color is a U-Boat's lower hull? It's hard to tell from B&W photos. Illustrations I've seen show dark grey or bright red. Which is correct? Or does the boat start off as grey below the waterline and then turns red as the sea's action exposes the primer underneath?

Over at the http://www.uboat.net forums there are zilion discussion on this.

I for one still have to see photographic proof of the red lower hull in wartime. Smile
Pax Melmacia

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I for one still have to see photographic proof of the red lower hull in wartime.

Colored photos of operational U-Boats are rare enough. I've seen only one, and it's above the waterline. The color beneath is indistinct; it could be dark grey, but it could also be a thick black boot stripe above an unseen red hull.

One color plate I've seen shows the boat red below but with the above-water part of the saddle tanks black (or maybe very dark grey) plus a very wide boot stripe around the hull.
Bertgang

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that msxyz is right.

Full grey paint as theoretical colour, but unfinished red lower hull to save paint and time.
msxyz

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Color of U-Boat's lower hull? Reply with quote

Drebbel wrote:
I for one still have to see photographic proof of the red lower hull in wartime.
It's stated in Rossler and Stern's books. Considering the extensive research they've both done in archieves they must have read some conclusive dodcuments.

The "Red paint" is nothing less than a variety of lead oxide (Pb3O4, different from the oxides used in lead batteries) which was used since the dawn of times as cosmetic (very toxic!) and since the last century as a cheap and effective protective paint against rust.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: