Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Why did they dissapear?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Why did they dissapear? Reply with quote

After having studied a bit about WW1 subs and her commanders, I´m absolutely surprised about something...take a look at this examples:

-Lothar Von Arnauld de La Periere: 1886-1941, 400.000 tons sunk, apparently staff officer in 1941

-Walter Forstmann: 1883-1973! ( Geez, he even still lived when I was born! ) 380.000 tons sunk, apparently active officer in WW2

-Max Valentinier: 1883-1949, 300.000 tons sunk

-Otto Hersing: 1885-1960, 36 ships sunk

Well.....this are only some of the WW1 U-Boot aces, but all of them lived through 1939 and even more. How is it possible that none of them took command of a submarine or -what amazes me even more- were not part of BdU???? Surprised Surprised

Why did they nearly dissapear from the Kriegsmarine, after having been U-Boot aces during WW1??

Was Dönitz jealous, or were they simply too old to command a submarine?

This is a fantastic enigma to me....we usually have an inclination to think about WW1 and WW2 as separate conflicts, and we don´t realize that the few years that separated them in fact determined that many WW1 combatants repeated their roles in WW2. For example, Hitler himself fought in WW1, Rommel obtained the "Pour le Merite", Dönitz also served on U-Boots.....

I know that many aircraft pilots of WW1 served on the Luftwaffe, but I can´t understand how it is possible that the former U-Boot aces of WW1 simply dissapeared and had no attention during WW2....

Can someone with better historical knowledge explain this? :hmm:
Deamon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the Aces did become buissines man an sutch and keept to be so. Many other Aces joined Hitlers Party and SA and SS and become leaders there! and they were also often responsible to prepare the youth for their U-Boat duty! Makeing propaganda for the U-Boat duty and sutch.

The U-Boat duty was very demanding to the health so some got problems with their health, and wasn't able to go to sea anyway.

BTW: Many U-Boat Sailors lost their minde and ended up in the psychiatry. The war was a to big stress for to many.

But i don't know whether some one else, exept Dönitz, was in active duty in the staff or did contributet in other way to the "Kriegsmarine". But going to sea again is not imaginable. Alone to health reasons, it would be a to big stress again. War needs always fresh meat. So the new U-Boat fleet was been builde up from young talented and motivated boys. And i think that was the right way.

Again after the WWII and after the very bad experiance with the Nazi dictatorship, there was again some U-Boat Aces who participated in founding the new democratic constitution that was supposed to prevent that sutch will happen again.

BTW: I was yesterday in the U-Boatmuseeum in Bremerhaven and visited the typXXI, the first time that i have seen a real sub Laughing , man that was great and exciting Smile

regards
deamon
Nemo66

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deamon wrote:

BTW: I was yesterday in the U-Boatmuseeum in Bremerhaven and visited the typXXI, the first time that i have seen a real sub Laughing , man that was great and exciting Smile

HaHaHa, i believe that! Yep Yep Yep

Greetings from good old IWO to B.D.U./Imperial Flotilla !!! Thumbs Up

IWO: "Männer, ein dreifaches "Hurra!" auf unsern B.D.U.!!!"
Mannschaft: " HURRA! - HURRA! - HURRA!" Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Oesten

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After commanding a U-boat in WWI, and losing, it would be very hard for anyone to go through it all again. Especially since the German U-boat fleet was far too small in 1939, just as it was in 1914.
TwistedFemur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as daemon stated I think that maybe the WW1 u-boat aces trained the submariners in WW2

and yes war is a young mans sport

ps: we have a type XXI here in the U.S. its called the nautiless (SP?)
it was Americas first nuclear powered sub and it was basically a copy of the german type XXI with a nuclear power plant stuck in its bowels
Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwistedFemur wrote:
ps: we have a type XXI here in the U.S. its called the nautiless (SP?)
it was Americas first nuclear powered sub and it was basically a copy of the german type XXI with a nuclear power plant stuck in its bowels

Where exactly is this museum ?

BTW: They all have liked the type XXI mutch, back then Laughing

Deamon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Im Twisted Femur just to lazy to log in :) Reply with quote

Sorry for the long delay (I dont check this Forum often)

to answer your question

USS Nautilus
Deamon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Deamon
GlowwormGuy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Von Trapp's offer Reply with quote

Remember in the Sound of Music when the Nazis offer Capt von Trapp a commission in the KM? He would have been assigned to a training command then, right? If he had accepted that is.

Mountbatten
Deamon

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Trapp's offer Reply with quote

GlowwormGuy wrote:
Remember in the Sound of Music

Sound of music, what ?

Quote:

when the Nazis offer Capt von Trapp a commission in the KM? He would have been assigned to a training command then, right? If he had accepted that is.

Sure

Deamon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: