Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Playable MISSILE Submarines

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tohardwoody18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Playable MISSILE Submarines Reply with quote

I was woundering if anyone know's how to make it to where you can fire the ballistic missiles, on a SSBN ? I made the USS Ohio (B) class playable using the 688I. But I don't know how to get it to where I can launch one. I made land targets on auto detect. When I did this and let the AI controll the submarine it launched at the targets. Can someone please help.

Also when I select loadout a DSRV it dosen't show up any tips one what I can do on this? :hmm:
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they can add SLBM's to the playables, because there are no tubes in the interface to launch them from...
caymanlee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the SCX,once set the SSBN(B) under AI control,target auto detec,within 500mn,use "transit"first,then in one of the "transit"point,set up a "transit search",and "attack"a certain"land target" ,the SSBN will fire two B missle and destroy the target.

But,once you get into the mission and let the SSBN under your control, it can't be done.

anybody can make it work??? so interesting to know that.
clive bradbury

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange you mention this, as I have been taking a look at exactly this problem recently. There is a part workaround, but it is not ideal.

Firstly, make sure that you are using the 688I interface for your playable Ohio, because then you do have vertical tubes available. Then tweak the files so that the TLAM and whichever Tomahawk you have in the tubes (usually the 'D' variant), uses the Trident missile model. Then when you launch from the VLS you can see a Trident.

There are two drawbacks:

(1) If you use the Trident performance characteristics the missile launches vertically, flies upwards for a few thousand feet, then explodes and destroys your sub. This means, as far as my testing has gone, you have to keep Tomahawk behaviour, so you have a 'terrain-following' Trident.

(2) If you keep the terrain-following trident, but up its destructive power to the value allocated in the game (5000, instead of 150 for the Tomahawk), it will still blow you up as well as the target if you are not careful. I compromise by using a value of 500.

So the answer to your question is that you can fire nukes from a boomer, given the above limitations.

(2)
caymanlee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clive bradbury wrote:
Strange you mention this, as I have been taking a look at exactly this problem recently. There is a part workaround, but it is not ideal.

Firstly, make sure that you are using the 688I interface for your playable Ohio, because then you do have vertical tubes available. Then tweak the files so that the TLAM and whichever Tomahawk you have in the tubes (usually the 'D' variant), uses the Trident missile model. Then when you launch from the VLS you can see a Trident.

There are two drawbacks:

(1) If you use the Trident performance characteristics the missile launches vertically, flies upwards for a few thousand feet, then explodes and destroys your sub. This means, as far as my testing has gone, you have to keep Tomahawk behaviour, so you have a 'terrain-following' Trident.

(2) If you keep the terrain-following trident, but up its destructive power to the value allocated in the game (5000, instead of 150 for the Tomahawk), it will still blow you up as well as the target if you are not careful. I compromise by using a value of 500.

So the answer to your question is that you can fire nukes from a boomer, given the above limitations.

(2)

1\what kind of software I should use to tweak the files you mentioned?

2\ can it be done on Typhoon???

thank you!
clive bradbury

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to use SCEdit. Search this forum and you should find a link to download it. You do have to have a bit of experience with it, so as I plan to script a mission using an Ohio shortly, you might want to wait as I will include an 'object' file already tweaked.

As to the Typhoon, now there's a question. You can't use the Akula interface as there are no vertical tubes, but let's think this through.

You could use the 688I to provide the VLS, and you would have to use the 688I weapons interface. But I wonder if it would be possible to uses Akula screens for the other interfaces (nav, sonar, etc). Not easy, but it might be possible. Let me have a think about it.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want a yankee SSBN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: