Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Crew Stations And Player Control... How Much...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Indie Subsims
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Crew Stations And Player Control... How Much... Reply with quote

... Is Too Much, and How Much Is too Little?

ok... lets continue from a response to a question in the SH3 forum,
Quote:
Hmm, in theory it sounds pretty neat, but you would have to have a bunch of pretty hardcore people if they'd be content with playing just as the sonar man, the diving officer, the NO, the WO and whatnot.
yeah... i thought about this as well... also one of the reasons my lil thing has been delayed... it was not fun standing there staring at a sonar screen, say during transit, for example...

what i wound up doing was combining the command of certain stations... the attack officer commands the TDC station, the Plot, the Sonar station during general quarters... he commands the forward deck gun watch during battle surface, and he commands the forward deck watch during manuevering stations...

the Diving Officer's responsibilites are similarly distributed... he commands the crew stations for the planesman, the ballast control, and the high pressure low controls... the echo sounder for sounding... during general quarters, and has the bridge watch during manuevering...

the Engineering Officer is stuck in the back... and controls the engine and power distribution, charging the batteries, setting the diesel conditions as directed by the helm... he is also in charge of radio communications and the deck watch during manuevering... (this billet may not be implemented)

the Captians responsibilities include command of the helm guy and the navigation station... and he issues the orders and can take command of any station at will...

only when the player is in the command Officers position can they roam around freely in the ship... when at a crew station they are stuck there...

so everyone is an Officer and manually commands a Crew Position... and must manually handle each position they are responsible for... given the distributed nature of each Offcier commanding a combination of crew stations, everyone should be pretty busy... when there is noone at that slot, the AI responds to orders from the Captain...

there's a lot of hands on in this... there'll be no one button diving... for example, the Diving Officer when given the command "Lookouts Below, Clear The Bridge, Prepare To Dive" will get ready to do the first thing in his Dive Checklist... and upon hearing the Dive Horn followed by the command "Dive, Dive", will immediately hit the control to deploy the forward planes... then move over to the ballst vent control station where he will monitor the 'Christmas Tree' waiting for all green, upon which he will open the Main and Negative Vents, and wait to see that they start flooding the tanks... then he will switch to the planesman position and control the planes to get the ordered angle... once htis is done... he will move back and forth checking the tanks and when they are filled, he will close the vents... back to the planes... level off at depth... and so forth as directed by the Captian's orders...

so you can see that from this exapmle the Dive Officer is gonna be plenty busy... each station has stuff to do during the different segments of the missions... even the Engineering guy stuck in the back is busy...

and when they are not, they can leave the compartment which will set the stations they command on autocrew... and go forward to the ward room...

i'm still debating the external view thing... giving everyone a view outside with an F key... that sorta ruins the whole reality thing... but i like the way it's done in SH3, so...

also, the Engineering station... it was intended to be the first billet you get out of sub school...but i may eliminate it and put the new grad directly into the control room as the Diving Officer...

still debating these things... so, lemme hear what you think...

thx

--Mike
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good balance between playability and reality.

I would try and keep the EO if possible it sounds like a good place to start the game. If it sounds like the player would have too little to do maybe add the Countermeasures to his list of duties (US Subs had them in late WWII). Also damage control and daily matenaince would keep the player busy if that is implemented.
cdragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the external view, you might limit it to the a small window, like the event window that pops up in SH3, to show you a torpedo approaching its target, for instance, or like the small 3D window in Dangerous Waters. Full screen external view is limited to the deck stations (Bridge, gun, AA). Crew members could then rotate bridge watches, for instance, to get the full 3D external view, but they wouldn't be sight-seeing; they'd be there for a gameplay reason. Or, at the Captain's discretion, you can let them up for a cigarette, or to witness a spectacular sinking.

[EDIT]
OK, I just saw you're doing a modern subsim. Embarassed Still, a little external view window for everyone might be appropriate.
Deamon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Crew Stations And Player Control... How Much... Reply with quote

Quote:

only when the player is in the command Officers position can they roam around freely in the ship... when at a crew station they are stuck there...

Good idea.

Quote:

i'm still debating the external view thing... giving everyone a view outside with an F key... that sorta ruins the whole reality thing... but i like the way it's done in SH3, so...

Maybe leave it optional.

Quote:

also, the Engineering station... it was intended to be the first billet you get out of sub school...but i may eliminate it and put the new grad directly into the control room as the Diving Officer...

How ditailed have you intended to simulate the engine controlls station ?

Do you intend to release a demo to test this stuff on a broader audience ?

Deamon
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the diving officer be able to 'trim' the boat, i.e., pump/flood water to/from trim tanks?
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there guys... lemme try to answer a few questions best i can...

cdragon... i really think external views take a way from a submarine sim... the whole idea of being inside the sub and submerged gets diluted when you are able to go outside for a look... and worse, if you are submerged and can not only go outside the sub, but outside and on the surface... you can see what the other guy is doing!!! Joking

i've never used the cinematic camera or whatever its called in SH3... again, that lets you view things that you would never see if you were aboard a sub... and takes away from the game...

in all fairness though, every flight sim i know of allows for an unrealistic external view... and there are plenty of virtual sailors who would like to see their subs in action from a remote location... so i guess i'll work out some compromise... something that will keep it as real as i can make it while giving the option to externally view the sub...

Deamon - that should answer a few of your inquiries as well... as far as the engine controls, the helm of the wwII model includes a power register (both engines together, sorry), speed indicator, compass, rudder wheel, and the station is only available for the direct control of the Captain... only the Captain can manually take over this station, or give orders to the ai controlling the station...

the engineering (manuevering) room model has the register and responder, the engine condition levers, the engine throttle levers, the generator output control (battery or propulsion), the electric motor power wheel, battery level indicators, charging/discharging indicators, and buss on/off switches at this time... it is a simplified analogy of the real thing, with enough to do to keep a guy stationed back there too busy to have free time to look outside...

the two engine rooms are manned by bots, but can be taken over by the Engineering Officer (or the Captain if he chooses to override command the Engineering Officer), and have the engine start stop panels and the controls for the main air induction...

if there is a human at the Engineering Officers Position, he will have to manually switch to that station and operate the controls when needed...
he's gonna be a busy watchstander, especially during the dive and surfacing, and when manuevering...

the Engineering Officer also commands the Radio Room... not coded or modelled yet, but it's functionality is coded so that orders come in and some reports go out... and your transmissions can be detected...

as far as a demo... the next one you see will most likely be a prelude to the release... although i may do something like a static tour... or an online test with some people... sorry no deadlines or projected release dates... i've already defaulted on this and i don't intend to raise anyones hopes unexpectedly again... especially my own :nope:

i owe Neal a game from wayyyy back, so he will get first notification of anything and will probably have the final say as to what's going on... what's released and when... seeing as i plan to have the initial availability only be through the forum store... sortof a way for me to give back to the forum for all the help and encouragement i've gotten through the years... as well as the comradery as well Thumbs Up

Bill - the current ballast control model is, again, a simplified version of the real thing... controls for the main and negative tank vents and blow switches for the main, negative and safety tanks are all that i've modelled so far... it was hard enough getting the sub to respond to these and the plane positions correctly and realistically (well, semi realistically anyway)... flooding only affects the total bouyancy state, and local flooding affects are not modelled(flooding in the torpedo room for instance, won't cause the bow to get heavier and sink) so trimming is not factored in to that level... sorrry... the only options i've programmed in are negative trim and pumping out of the mains to compensate for flooding...

the Diving Officer controls these stations, and is responsible for maintaining required bouyancy for operations as ordered by the Captain... in addition, the planes stations are also under his control, as is one of the deck stations during manuevering watch...

as you can see... in single player, the Captain is gonna be a busy guy if he decides to manually take command of every station... but the option is there for him to let the AI respond to his orders...

in multiplayer (to be honest, i've only gotten one successful multiplayer session working where there has been multiple crew (human players) aboard one sub) each player will be an Officer Crewman, in command of a section during certain watches, and also be able to roam the sub (most of the sub) for relaxation and interaction with other online players ( the ward room would be the central meeting place when not on watch)...

well... that's the grand plan... quite a mouthfull, eh... wish me luck...

(oh Bill, the interior floorplan for the Nautilus main deck i asked about... i need to be able to visualize the where the ladder from the bridge is, and if there are any compartments to the port side of the periscope stand up in the attack center... thx)

--Mike
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Indie Subsims All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: