Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

wwi navy question

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ABBAFAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: wwi navy question Reply with quote

what year was anti flash protection introduced to warship cxrews?i have seen paintings and illustrations of gunner crews on first world war ships like dreadnoughts etc wearing anti flash hoods(the old ones without facebags)but reading various descriptions of injuries sustained in battles made me wonder if they acctually had this equipment or was it introduced later.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! Ya got me on that one. I've done a lot of research on World War I naval combat, including development and construction of various ships; but I have absolutely NO CLUE as to the answer to that question! If you do find out, let me know-it's one of the ultimate trivia questions. Rock
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was introduced into the British navy after their first real battle with German warships, the Battle of Dogger Bank. I just bought three books about first world war battleships and haven't read through all of them yet, so bear with me.

I can't be specific though, but it sounds framilar that there was increased protection for flash after that. I guess I didn't understand that this new protection was clothing for the crew. I assumed they were talking about armor plating added inside the ship.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: