Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

modern naval books

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raf_kichu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: modern naval books Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend some good reading regarding modern naval war tactics etc. etc.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Storm Rising, SSN, and Submarine by Tom Clancy all deal with modern naval and submarine tactics to some extent.
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne P. Hughes's "Fleet Tactics" is the textbook. There's also a great book by Milan Vego, "Soviet Naval Tactics". I believe you can get both from the U.S. Naval Institute Press.
OneShot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget Hunt for Red Oktober (by Tom Clancy - often refered as HFRO), some books by Patrick Robinson (most notably Nimitz Class, Kilo Class and HMS Unseen) and others. Question is, are you more interested in Fiction or Non-Fiction ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
raf_kichu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately non-fiction... i've gone through all clancy et all books long time ago... now Im more interesting in getting to know the real stuff... tactics manual, concepts etc. etc.

looking for some sort of maritime versions of 'fighter combat: tactics and maneouvring by r. shaw'
Enigma65

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second what Bill Nichols had earlier stated. Go to the U.S. Naval Institute Press and check out their online catalog.

http://www.usni.org/press/press.html

The book I know you would like is one titled Anti-Submarine Warfare by J.R. Hill. ISBN 0-87021-998-7. I'm afraid I don't see it on the current online catalog. It is pretty old, first published in 1984, last reprint in 1993.

But, it really does a superb job of describing in detail the theory and practice of submarine and anti-submarine warefare in the present and a little of the past as well. Present being 1970 and early 1980s. Here is the table of contents and again, they are very detailed in the coverage. Well written.

1. The Threat
2. The Means
3. The Weapons
4. The Anti-Submarine Battle--excellent chapter on what they thought a modern NATO -Soviet naval battle would be like with the submarine elements involved.
5. Into the 90s

Perhaps check amazon.com for a used one?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: