Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Das Boot Uncut DVD questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Das Boot Uncut DVD questions Reply with quote

1. Has anyone else noticed that the German language track occassionally switches to English for a sentence or two? For example, when Thomsen is falling down drunk?

2. Am I the only idiot that never realized that they actually returned to Lorient instead of making it to La Spezia? :8Cool
Subnuts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Has anyone else noticed that the German language track occassionally switches to English for a sentence or two? For example, when Thomsen is falling down drunk?

He was so drunk he forgot how to speak German! Rotfl

Quote:
2. Am I the only idiot that never realized that they actually returned to Lorient instead of making it to La Spezia?

Yes, there are plenty of idiots who thought that! Laughing

Anybody else notice that ironic propaganda slogan painted across one of the buildings at La Rochelle. It says "Wir hauen fur den Sieg!" - "We strike for victory!". Gee, I bet they really regretted that five minutes later... Surprised

Don't take that for an exact translation because my German is terrible. Not as bad as my brother-in-law's, who honestly thinks that "sic him!" (something you'd yell to a dog) is german for "get him!" Damn
klh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subnuts wrote:
...the buildings at La Rochelle

:know: Uhhh, I meant La Rochelle. :8Cool
Floater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Das Boot Uncut DVD questions Reply with quote

klh wrote:

You mean "I'm in no condition to f**k"? Presumably, the character was deliberately speaking English - I don't think it was a mistake or anything. As I understand it, most European languages have certain common phrases in other languages - for example, "c'est la vie" - usually said ironically and/or humorously.

From what I can gather, English phrases are more common in day-to-day use in continental European languages because of the pervasiveness of the English language. When I've been abroad, I've often been surprised by hearing snatches of English among people speaking other languages.

My wild guess on Thomsen's phrase is that "I'm in no condition to drive" was the phrase he was, um, adapting for his circumstances. Laughing
Bruno Lotse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subnuts wrote:

Anybody else notice that ironic propaganda slogan painted across one of the buildings at La Rochelle. It says "Wir hauen fur den Sieg!" - "We strike for victory!". Gee, I bet they really regretted that five minutes later... Surprised

Please, have a look again. It is

'Wir bauen fur den Sieg!'

'We build for victory!'

'bauen' - not 'hauen' Rock

Last edited by Bruno Lotse on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruno Lotse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Das Boot Uncut DVD questions Reply with quote

Floater wrote:
Presumably, the character was deliberately speaking English - I don't think it was a mistake or anything.

I do agree completely.
Another famous saying

'Not yet, Kameraden, NOT YET !' Thumbs Up
Pole

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Das Boot Uncut DVD questions Reply with quote

Bruno Lotse wrote:
Floater wrote:
Presumably, the character was deliberately speaking English - I don't think it was a mistake or anything.

I do agree completely.
Another famous saying

'Not yet, Kameraden, NOT YET !' Thumbs Up

Funny thing - I thought about the very quote when I was watching R.Scott's "Gladiator " Smile Remember last scene when Maximus' friend buries wooden figures of his family in arena's sand, looks out to the horizon and says "I will see you again, but not yet, not yet !" Rock

Pole
Scion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who can forget the tipperary song in Das Boot?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: