Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

"Battle of the Atlantic"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Max

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: "Battle of the Atlantic" Reply with quote

"Battle of the Atlantic" by Terry Hughes and John Costello

One of the best, most comprehensive accounts of the Battle of the Atlantic I've ever read(and I've read several!). It's not dry, historical facts, but is written in a very readable fashion with facts and figures as needed to explain situations and/or events.

It also gives a great, readable account of the basic politics involved and, again, not in dry, historical fashion, but READABLE information and facts/figures as needed.

Its not all about the uboats, its not all about British courage and stamina, its not all about America saving the world, etc. It simply covers the conditions at the time, with some excellent overviews and reasons why things were as they were. Why, for example, did it seem that America was going to let England and Europe be conquered without lifting a finger? The politics of it all is fascinating ...and not dry, humorless facts, but basic human feelings and sensitivities.

A most thorough, readable account and easily the least biased account that I've ever read. I picked it up at a bookstore sale for $2.98 and now that I've read it, I'd pay full retail price without batting an eye. As you can tell, I highly recommend it for those interested in the Battle of the Atlantic during World War II.

Baron Max
hunter301

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it compare to "Battle of the Atlantic: Hilter's Gray wolves of the sea" By Andrew Williams??
Baron Max

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter301 wrote:
How does it compare to "Battle of the Atlantic: Hilter's Gray wolves of the sea" By Andrew Williams??

I liked that book at the time! But also it's been a long time since I read it.

The thing that struck me about the Hughes & Costello book was how it interwove politics, thoughts of Hitler and his staff, Churchill and Roosevelt, American politics, business interests, newspaper articles, etc, etc ...a more complete, UN-bias view of the battle for the Atlantic and, just as importantly, the view of the war as a whole.

I can't remember the Williams book so well, but I was instantly struck by the Hughes/Costello book. So much so that after reading only a few chapters, I went out and bought it for my library. If you get a chance, pick it up at the library ...I think you'll be impressed.

Baron Max
Oberon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me, must finish reading 'Business in Great Waters'! Yep
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: