Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

How to ID enemy torp type?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkShot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: How to ID enemy torp type? Reply with quote

I am playing a mission and I get TIW.

First, I get killed. But on the replay I see that it was an L5.

So, I reload a save game, but this time instead of trying to use CMs, I simply go to flank and run it out of gas (which seems quite doable with an L5).

My question is how can you identify what the weapon is when you get a TIW?

Thanks.
Thomasew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MS

Well, ... Torps tend to be pretty noisy, .. so, once you have the TIW bearing, .. go to your Narrowband Sonar, .. and check that bearing.

You should have most of the Frequency Lines, .. which will aid you in identifying the Torp.

Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use active intercept, and identify the torp from the frequency it is "pinging" you with.

By then, however, you had better react quickly.

Cheers.
MarkShot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there document somewhere that lists torp ping frequencies?

Thanks.
Thomasew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

Didn't ascertain whether you were using SC or SCX .. Confused

In any event, .. the Active Intercept may not provide the Torpedo Type timeously enough. The Torp may have been fired from 10,000 yards away, .. yet only go Active when it is 2000 yards away. It may even be a Passive Torpedo.

Your best bet, .. is to ID/Classify it in Narrowband.

As to Torp Ping Frequencies, .. if you are using default SC, .. then all Active Torps use the same frequency .. i.e. 20,000 Hz.

If using SCX, .. there is 'some' variance in Torp Active frequencies. I never completed the work on Torp Sonars, .. as SCX was an ongoing project, .. and down the line, .. each Torp would have it's own Sonars.

Currently, .. only about 4 Torps are distinct from the others.

Mark 48 ADCAP = 21500
Mark 46 Captor = 21450
Spearfish = 22700
UGST = 19500

The rest are based on the maximum speed of the Torp:-

20500 = Torp Max Speed of 50 knots.
20450 = Torp max Speed of 45 knots.

and so on ...

So, .. although certainly not definitive, .. it did allow you to guess/estimate what Torpedo was incoming, .. and more importantly ... knowing the incoming Torp's speed, .. would allow you to guesstimate, ... how long you had to live ... Smile

Cheers
Tom
MarkShot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That particular mission was with vanilla SC. Although, I have both SC and SCXIIc/SCU installed. (I am using the dual install registry import procedure developed by Tinman 5842 to run both side by side. I copied the details down about three years ago.)

Two questions come to mind:

(1) Although the inbound torp is loud, it is often on the same bearing as the shooter and thus the merged acoustic signatures prevents a NB ID from being readily displayed. Or even worse if you fired the first shot, then you have the target's signature, your torp's signature, and his torp's signature all on the same bearing. Then, how do you ID?

(2) I was planning to play through the vanilla SC scenarios and campaign under vanilla SC before moving on to SCX play. I figured that the vanilla stuff might not play well under SCX as it wasn't designed for SCX. Does that make sense or should I just skip vanilla SC and begin my cruise with SCX?

---

Oh, and since I am corresponding with the author of SCX, I would like to thank you for your selfless work and sharing with me.
Baron Max

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkShot wrote:
(1) Although the inbound torp is loud, it is often on the same bearing as the shooter and thus the merged acoustic signatures prevents a NB ID from being readily displayed.

Well, you can't ID it ...no matter what the novels say.

However, depending on the signature lines on the sonar screen, sometimes you can MENTALLY subtract the signature of the sub and wind up with a decent match for the torpedo. But that takes lots of practice and very good eye ...not to mention taking the time which might get you killed! Smile

MarkShot wrote:
Or even worse if you fired the first shot, then you have the target's signature, your torp's signature, and his torp's signature all on the same bearing. Then, how do you ID?

You can't. Your own torpedo simply overwhelms all other sounds on that bearing. At least not in SC. I don't know anything about SCX or any of the mods - I don't use 'em.

Baron Max
Thomasew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

Well, .. Baron has, .. more or less, .. answered your first question. Smile

The SC Missions should play just fine with SCX, ... if not a bit better. I did test many of them with SCX, .. and enjoyed them thoroughly.

You are most welcome, ... hope you enjoy playing with SCX ... Smile

Shoot First ... Smile

Happy Sailing ...

Cheers
Tom
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: