Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

U-Boat book?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flappy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx again Neal, Yeah I've got the Terraine book and it's drier than the proverbial "Popcorn Fart", but is VERY good reading from a tactical side.
That's why I was intrigued by the other you recommended, it covers the re-arming period (Am I wrong?) between the wars as well as the conflicts themselves.

P.P.S.- I'll be checking up on the 505 book you just reviewed as that looks like a decent read as well...Thx Again
Pole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Steve wrote:
Pirate wrote:
Thanx guys for all the answers, but i think most of your advices go to books that are novels!

I'm looking for the best book on the technical side (sorry for not making this clear before).
History and evolution of the u-boat, technical details on each type and maybe some battle reports that describe episodes of the u-boat war! Smile

Thanks,

I would go with Egan's original suggestion. The Blair books are said to be a very good overview of the entire U-boat war, both techical and personal.

Roger that ! I've recently bought the first volume of it (The Hunters) and I must say it fantastic - exactly as you wrote - a very good overview of the entire U-boat war, both techical and personal - several anecdotes etc.

Pole
Pole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: U-Boat book? Reply with quote

Pigfish wrote:
Pirate wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a book about u-boats in genera!
In your opinion wich one is the best U-Boat book out there?

Thanx,

Heres another one. I suspect this one will be a good book in general:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=S8723~per=2

Ospreys always a great place to start IMHO. Yep

One problem with this book - it is not yet published :huh:

Pole
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders of the Deep is the definitive book with which to begin. I have a first edition (published in 1928). This book begins the UBoat saga. Where else can you read about a UBoat putting torpedoes into a cruiser and then as she sinks the UBoat dives swiftly beneath the sinking cruiser to escape pursuers. This read is both tense and informative and reveals great insight into the service that would evolve into the hunters of the Atlantic.

I also recommend highly Operation Drumbeat that provides a look at the long range UBoat operations along the North American coast and in particular ia a close examination of UBoat Ace Reihard Hardegan.
don1reed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ pirate:

Sorry for being late to this thread, but if you want a technical book re U-boats, then, "THE U-BOAT The evolution and technical history of German submarines" by Eberhard Rossler (umlaut o) is the book for you.

Since it's of technical nature it may seem pricey. I'm not sure if it couldn't be purchased "used" at http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?imagefield.x=0&an=buchheim&tn=u-boat+war&imagefield.y=0

All the best,
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it cover WWI U-boats?
don1reed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Neal, it does. It covers German submarines from 1850 to 1970. Chock full of blueprints and technical data on all. The appendix has full 18 inch (book opened) blueprints of all of the WW2 U-boats and drawings of the WW1 boats

I enjoy the single-drive U-boats (Hellmuth Walter), and data on how the bunkers were built; plus, more data on each manufacturer and drawings of their harbors with tons of photos.
hunter301

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoooaaaa!!! Still available new thru Amazon but steeeep price. Some cheaper in the used section. Here the URL

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0304361208/qid=1110830743/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-3161100-1435342?v=glance&s=books
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: