Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Mission editor question: help please.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RS-RD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Mission editor question: help please. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Had SC for a long time and played it till my eyes starting bleeding reading the manual and onkine pdf's etc. Ok to the points..

1. I am wanting to set up a simple mission to learn the TMA stuff. Everytime i create a sub (me) and say a frigate in a scenario, it is only myself that is there. If you show truth to check that the you set up the mission right it does not show the enemy vessel at all. This is frustrating as heck as I can not see where I have gone wrong. Ive read manuals after manuals and none explain a simple set up, just explains each item/icon in turn etc.

2. Now that DW is around the corner, I am wanting to get up to speed on the TMA. Personally I was a bit suprised that there was not a step by step scenario around for TMA practice. Everything TMA I have read is all about the fundamentals of it and a few diagrams about LOS self attaining etc.

All I want is 1 sub (me) 1 frigate or more hostile, so I can practice narrowband/demon/TMA/ over and over.. You may say just use some of the missions you get with it. But I would like to make sure things are on my terms so I can learn at my own pace.

Any help with such a setup or a smal step by step walkthrough on putting a playable sub and a hostile vessel in the mission editor would be great.

Thanks for your time in advance...

James..
RS-RD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 views and none of you knew ? sigh..
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really easy. Open the mission editor and select the area for your scenario.
Next, select a sub (it should be one of the playable subs: 688i, Akula or Seawolf) and add it where you want it. Select a tactic (e.g., Transit Search) and place waypoints on the map. Next, click the box that says 'Playable' and, if you want, also the box that says 'Stream towed array'.

Now it's time to add the target ship. Select a surface ship, place it on the map, select a tactic and put the tactic's waypoints on the map. Pay attention to how far away the ship is from your sub, it's easy to put things hundreds of miles apart (you don't want that unless you're a very patient man). Wink

Now save the scenario under whatever name you want. That's all there is to it. Thumbs Up

If you want to change the default environment, nationalities or rules-of-engagement, you can do that via the pull-down menu.
RS-RD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm i swear i did what you asked me to do before , but when i followed what u said it worked i can see that what i placed is there now. hmmmm.

Anyway i think we were like at least 50nm apart and i could not locate the hostile with any means at that time. I thought ok i must be way to far away for even the slightest contact, I checked at 35nm nothing, 25nm nothing, it took we to get to 8.9nm to actually get even a radar contact on the surface, or for even my port array to pick up anything on narrowband..

Hostile was heading 120 at the time and I was heading 165 slightly behind him. Nothing really picked up solid on contacts and for me to be able to try and merge various contacts until i was heading 90(east) towards him while he turned and was heading 047. I did a few small 5-10 degree turns as i was heading east in his general direction now he was heading back the other way to see what was best for clarification on the narrowband.

Even though i made progress sort of lol I still just dont get the TMA. I gave it a go and could not get any sense from getting the dots lined up for a accurate solution, I then tried let the auto tma do its thing so i could watch, lol well the auto tma didnt even set anything up down the line for the dots either and i waited for over 20 mins to see if it needed more tracks to work with. Tried locking the hostiles speed etc as well and just could not get it down pat lol.

I hope sometime in the future that someone with naval experience would be able to use the fraps recording software if they have it, and make a TMA video , I for one always learn much better by being shown directly than reading from manuals etc.. Once ive been shown and spoken to about it I tend to pick it up then.. Maybe thats just me.?

Anyway thanks for your help its certainly helped me in the right direction..

James..
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of advice on TMA...

Well, first off, go back to your editor and make sure that the surface vessel is programed to stay on a steady course for a long time. Every time he manuevers, you basicly have to start TMA all over again.

Locking in a speed is very important. Most warships have a Turns per Knot value of 8. So, for your frigate or whatever, go to DEMON and set the TPK value to 8, then move the cursor over the line on the screen closest to the left. The target's speed will be displayed. This will narrow down the number of possible TMA solutions significantly.

You will want at least two TMA "legs" to get a good fix. To start a new leg, turn your ship at least 30 degrees. This will change your ship's contibution to the change of bearing to target, which will eliminate some incorrect TMA solutions.

Your best range estimates will occur in a "lag" line-of-sight. This means that, if you were to draw a line from your ship to his, you will both be moving in opposite directions across that line.

Also, if you get close enough, assign a tracker for the spherical array as well as the towed array. The bearing lines will intersect, and unless the target is very close aboard, those intersections will be very close to his actual position. TMA is a cinch in this case, as you just line up the ruler along the intersection points.

Happy hunting!
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS-RD wrote:
I hope sometime in the future that someone with naval experience would be able to use the fraps recording software if they have it, and make a TMA video , I for one always learn much better by being shown directly than reading from manuals etc.. Once ive been shown and spoken to about it I tend to pick it up then.. Maybe thats just me.?

Just wait until you see Dangerous Waters's tutorial videos... there's a video on TMA that I think will help you. Thumbs Up
RS-RD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont count on it mr nichols lol Razz

Cheers Molon Smile ill try and set the frigate to a fixed course..
Pigfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS-DS wrote:
Had SC for a long time and played it till my eyes starting bleeding reading the manual and onkine pdf's etc. Ok to the points..

RS-DS wrote:
Anyway i think we were like at least 50nm apart and i could not locate the hostile with any means at that time. I thought ok i must be way to far away for even the slightest contact, I checked at 35nm nothing, 25nm nothing, it took we to get to 8.9nm to actually get even a radar contact on the surface, or for even my port array to pick up anything on narrowband..

Even though i made progress sort of James..

You read the manual and the "online pdfs"? Where is there a online PDF? Mine came with game.

RS-DS wrote:
Ive read manuals after manuals and none explain a simple set up, just explains each item/icon in turn etc

"Manuals after manuals?" May I ask which ones? I only got one (not too good) with my game. And the pdf. There is a real good download "manual" from one of the members of this forum-can you name it? Had you read it you wouldnt be asking the questions you are.

50 miles apart as a start for a TMA test? Youve payed SC before you say? :nope:

And, strangly -you have problems simply setting up the most very basic of mission editor scenarios?

You say you played SC "for a long time" and "till your eyes started bleeding" but are only now "making progress?" :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

You 'reek' of someone looking for info on this forum cuz you are playing a pirated game of DW with no manual IMHO.

I will also point out your "frigate" referances.

Nice try though...

Think about it guys... Yep Yep

I got the nose for it...

Edited
RS-RD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure are a strange one lol... Yes ive read the manual/manuals "help pdfs/docs" all over the shop.

Yes ive played SC before but not as often as everyone else here. "I go back to it from time to time " R/L does exist you know.

And as for your comment on a pirated copy of DW and no manual, for someone of 1608 posts to your credit, If you had been following any information on DW, as far as i am aware DW will come with a manual on the cd etc anyway.?

Oh and for someone to say "I got a nose for this thing" your probably right with an avatar like that my friend..."oink" If anyone has a nose for anything its me becaue I have a job as a fraud officer.

Cheap shot and not helpful. I came to this forum direct from subsims main site after deciding to push my effort to try and learn something before DW is shipped to us.

you strike me as a typical person that likes to control things, from they way you have come across anyway. To further anymore attraction to any of these games listed in the forums, I can safely say you wouldnt be my first port of call as a recruiting officer.

Enough said, go and troll elsewhere I say.

Edited:- Shame on you for someone of your age being so snappy i say, and with posts like "yup guess its that dreaded time gotta get on the wagon for a while 3 days no booze /weed/ or any other plesureable thing "

No booze and no weed? yeah you sure are stable enough trusting guy to make comments on someone you dont even know right?..

And no good posting a reply saying "oh you are bitting etc" because I know I am. Your post really has ticked me off. If I had forum mod status in this neck of the woods you would certainly receive a PM asking you to back off.

Breaking down someones text like you have on a forum, and basically throwing accusations at each piece of it, does not make you right in what you are saying.

Last edited by RS-RD on Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigfish,

While the manual is not in fact online, it was called an online manual by SCS. Just look at the link it installed on your start menu. Ping
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: