Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Detection Ranges, Noise Outputs, etc. Important stuff.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pillar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Detection Ranges, Noise Outputs, etc. Important stuff. Reply with quote

I don't know enough about submarine warfare and one area I'm really lacking in understanding is the base ranges for detection and how those ranges change with noise output.

Here are some scenarios, if anyone who has some experience in the navy could make an educated guess as to what we'd be looking at for ranges, I'd appreciate it.

Ship Active Sonar to locate 688. Deep/Shallow

For Deep and Shallow each:

Ship Passive Sonar to hear 688 going 5kts, ship stationary.

Ship Passive Sonar to hear 688 going 10kts, ship stationary.

Ship Passive Sonar to hear 688 going 15kts, ship stationary.

Ship Passive Sonar to hear 688 going Full, ship stationary.

Ship Passive Sonar to hear 688 going Flank, ship stationary.

Same except give the ship 10kts surface speed.

Same except give ship "full" surface speed. (not flank)

--

Sub Deep/Shallow:

Helicopter, Active and Passive Sonobouy ranges

P3, as above.

--

Submarine detecting another submarine (deep/shallow), ownshpi going 5 kts, enemy ship going 5kts.

Submarine detecting another submarine (deep/shallow), ownship going 5 kts, enemy ship going 10kts.

Submarine detecting another submarine (deep/shallow), ownship going 5 kts, enemy ship going 15kts.

Submarine detecting another submarine (deep/shallow), ownship going 5 kts, enemy ship going full.

Submarine detecting another submarine (deep/shallow), ownship going 5 kts, enemy ship going flank.

--

Any other important numbers?

Obviously, something like a Kilo is likely to have it's sensor ranges lower but also its ability to be detected by other platforms lower.

The Virginia would probably have improvements everywhere over the above numbers.

Thanks Gentlemen...
Pillar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Torpedo detect ranges Reply with quote

I'm also interested in what torpedo detect ranges look like in good detail.

This would be important in planning an attack. I want to know how low and how slow I have to send my fish for it not to be heard until it's "too late"... both for ships and other subs.
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Detection Ranges, Noise Outputs, etc. Important stuff. Reply with quote

Pillar wrote:
Ship Active Sonar to locate 688. Deep/Shallow

More than deep vs shallow, aspect means something. Essentially, how much of your hull is 'showing' and reflecting sound? If he's at your 90 or 270 he can detect you from much longer ranges than 0 or 180. (relative bearings)

Another thing is that "deep" will be very affected by the SSP. If there's a good thermal layer, woe be the ship trying to detect a deep sub.

(... not that anything is ever that simple... )

Quote:

For Deep and Shallow each:
Ship Passive Sonar to hear 688 going 5kts/10/15/full/flank, ship stationary.
Same except give the ship 10kts surface speed.
Same except give ship "full" surface speed. (not flank)

Baronmax, you around?
(He always claimed to have an easy solution to this, at least when AI were involved.)

Quote:
Sub Deep/Shallow:
Helicopter, Active and Passive Sonobouy ranges
P3, as above.

I know somebody's gonna put up tables for that against the playable subs on orionwarrior.com sometime after the game is released.

Since the P-3 and the MH-60 uses the same buoys, the ranges will be somewhat universal.

Quote:

Submarine detecting another submarine (deep/shallow), ownshpi going 5 kts, enemy ship going 5/10/15/full/flank kts.

This is too much affected by the SSP to give a clear cut answer. (you forgot ownship depth, btw)

Quote:

Obviously, something like a Kilo is likely to have it's sensor ranges lower but also its ability to be detected by other platforms lower.

Keep in mind the kilo is an ASuW platform more than anything else. Surface platforms tend to be relatively loud. Especially the merchants.
sonar732

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your sonar questions, please check these links out.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/es310/SNR_PROP/snr_prop.htm

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/es310/uw_acous/uw_acous.htm

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/acoustics.htm
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: