Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Sonar

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sub Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Sonar Reply with quote

I have really been playing SCXIIc a lot lately, and I finally downloaded many of the Akula Scenarios. I either have a problem with my computer or there is something amiss.

The Sonar on the Akula is far more sensitive than either of the two US subs. I am detected and identify, well not me the AI is, because I paly with the automatic on, contacts far faster and that includes subs.

If this is the way it is designed then some one really messed up. I am no sonar expert but after 24 years on the boats I have knowledge of our sonar and it is very good. No I don't know how good Russian sonar is but I find it hard to believe it is this much better than ours.

Like I say it may be a problem with my computer and if it is can I correct it? I have not done any thing except download SCXIIc and the scenarios, I have not went in and changed anything, mainly because I am to dam dumb to.

I would really appreciate a response to this post, as I believe that with SCXIIc you have made an outstanding simulation. I have been a die hard 688I, and I still play it but not near as much I do SC since you worked on it. I am getting ready to try SCU, but I wanted to find out about this sonar thing first. But, if for some reason, Akulas were given and unrealistic sonar then I would like to see it changed.

I know everyone is all excited about Dangerous Waters, well I am not one of them. I did not think SC was any good until the people on this site went to work on it. I believe that Dangerous Waters will be another turkey and will only be worth any thing after you guys rebuild it for them, but I am still waiting to see if and when when it comes out and what system requiments will be needed, I was victimized by some Air plane sim put out by UBISOFt, but that was my fault for buying an airplane sim. I still believe Sonalyst should have built something on the order of 688I, but using the Virginia class as the basic boat. Why, 688I's are on their way out, and Seawolf Class is to expensive, three is it, and the Navy is going with Virginia, and while they will probably not order as many Virginia's as they did 688I, it will be the mainstay of the Sub Fleet. I have first hand on the Seawolf as my Engineer form SSBN602 was the project manager for Seawolf before he made Admiral and took over the Boomer Squadrons out of Kings Bay.

Any way will some one please get back to me on this sonar differences I am seeing?

Thanks,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Scion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akula sonar is not better in capabilty, it just displays Narrowband contacts far more easily. Take a look in narrowband and turn the frequency knob to 150 or 300... You will see the water around you Smile
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the SCX documentation (or perhaps the TACMAN?), the Pelamida is about as sensitive as the TB-23 (the PORT array on the 688I). If you're using the starboard array, then yes, the Akula's is more sensitive.
Sub Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

So then my system is ok even though poitive ID is occuring about twice as fast with the Akula than with the US Boats?
I really begin to believe something was not right with my system.

Thank you,

Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just the AI crew that is much better in the akula's sonar than in the us platform's sonars!
Overkill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's just the AI crew that is much better in the akula's sonar than in the us platform's sonars!

Why is that?
Fish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Sub Sailor wrote:
So then my system is ok even though poitive ID is occuring about twice as fast with the Akula than with the US Boats?
I really begin to believe something was not right with my system.

Thank you,

Hi Ron, if I where you I do the sonar myself, no auto crew. You will see in the long run the Seawolf sonar is slightly in favor of the Akula's.
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overkill wrote:
Quote:

Why is that?

The autocrew always operates the narrowband - and in the US boats, the narrowband users have to 'scan' through the directions. It's more or less the price for having a history (in the form of a waterfall display).
Sub Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hey everyone I appreciate the response and I will give it a try. I would like to see more tips form you experts for us trying to get it together. I am going to get my nerve up to try SCU before long.

Thanks again,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret) Thumbs Up
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: