Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

AI Crew...better, worse or simply the same?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: AI Crew...better, worse or simply the same? Reply with quote

I was wondering about the "skill" of the AI crew in DW. I'm hoping they're going to better than in SC. It would be nice if they were similar to those in 688i. As I recall they got better with each mission.
Rip

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it would be cool to see them actually classify stuff. I've done hull surveys of ships and still had those idiots with a low confidence or unknown classification.

I would really be cool if they sucked and then got better with experience. Hopefully the quality of the experience would also have an effect. This would also be cool with the rest of the crew. Imagine first time out and the weather is a little rough and your dive team broaches the ship while at PD. Then after many missions they could keep her within a foot or 2 in a Typhoon. I'm just hoping it won't be rock solid depth control at PD despite the weather.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the AI crew can't be (nor should it) as good as a person. But it would be nice for them to be able to gain a level of competence that's acceptable. ESPECIALLY fire control! Damn
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you were to reinstall the system (if the OS collapses, as happens frequently to some) you would have to 'train' them from the beginning, before it was worth trying in multiplayer?

There was a 'hack' to avoid it for 688(i), but I think it's better not to do it at all.

I think your wish about difficulties PD/weather comes true with DW. Something to the effect was said by someone (Jamie) a while ago. It may have been cut from the game though.
Driftwood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there's a way to back up your data files so your "experienced crew" doesn't drift off into the oblivion of a system crash I don't see that as a problem.
Boomer Ang

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO at least 3 level of crew is a must. I still remember how SC crew was unable even to spot the toilet in the sub or even a huge tanker running 10 knots 200 yards away and confusing it several times for Krivak ...uhh.those were times when they were even unaware that their job was not bay-watch men but sub crew...those were days ....

688 had a good crew.

Ok , before the same error pepetrate on DW I strongly and firmly suggest to have :

1 ) no crew , everything managed by player/s

2 ) rookie crew

3 ) expert crew wherte expert means expert

I know that human way to operate can't be simulated but it is sufficient to emulate 688 crew skill

Boomer
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrankine wrote:
As long as there's a way to back up your data files so your "experienced crew" doesn't drift off into the oblivion of a system crash I don't see that as a problem.

Ever had a harddisk go bad on you? Without having taken backup of all those things? No? Lucky guy...
Driftwood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you can count me among those that have learned that lesson the HARD way a long time ago. I back up my sensitive data to a CD. Point is that I don't see that as an issue that couldn't be overcome.
Heppuli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am annoyed by autocrew stupidness too. One time I played SC, and my autocrew classified allied Kirov as Kuznekov.... Damn
Boomer Ang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you share our opinion on SC missing crew :nope: please join this thread and support it, if you don't you have nothing to lose to support it as well considering that in theory you can toggle it on and off.. Joking

Boomer
holyspirit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the AI crew in SC left much too be desired especially in classification.
Hopefully they'll improve it
:8Cool SC AI crews intelligence -----> Idea DW AI crews intelligence or this :know:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: