Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

DW limitations concerning P-3 Orion flight simulator?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hutch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ailerons, etc. Reply with quote

amrcg wrote:
Of course I understand that the focus of DW is not about flight simulation, but I just wanted to know which features were left behind. Anyway, rudder and flaps use to make part of even the most basic flight simulators.

Hi Antonio,

The P-3 has analog rudder, aileron, and elevator control. No flaps or brakes. There is a HUD display very similar to the helo HUD from the video.

Hutch
nattydread

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, so no high pitch, level, slow flight manuvers. No limping home with a portion of the wing and an engine blown off by a SAM.

I can understand the need to keep the flight model simple especially considering the number of units modeled...but has a flight enthusiast I have to admit that Im a little...hmmm, sadden... to hear that pilot skills and a reasonabley detail flight model wont be much of a factor in flying in game. But hey, thats coming from a self admitting flight/aviation Elitist.

The P3 Orion is a very important addition in game in whatever capacity...but sadly I wont be flying it. This isnt a critisim of the game in anyway, it just means that portion of the game wont appeal to me personally. Im sure many will fly the P3, in fact many more now than if they made it more difficult to fly. I just personally need more when it come to flight.

I just personally like being in high demand when it comes to people hunting for a good pilot.
Beer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Pilots will be in demand.

There were two simulators that were used when I was in the Navy for P-3 Pilot training. There was a full motion one with visuals for procedure training. This would be probably what one would seek in a Flight Sim, shooting approaches, dealing with emergency procedures, take offs, two/three engine loiter, etc.

The other simulator was a Tactical simulator, where the Operator positions had full mock ups (NAV, TACCO, SS1, SS2, and SS3), and the pilots sat a console that was pretty much dails they would rotate for Heading, Speed, and Alt; also weapons switches for opening the Bombbay, Master arm etc. Being a good Pilot in a procedural sense did not mean they were a good pilot in a tactical sense. Employing the P-3 requires a tactical sense and being able to position the aircraft as required to work with the TACCO's plan for Locating, Tracking, Identifying, and then Attacking the Contact of Interest. This was the simulator used for the aircrews to recieve their Combat Quals.

A deep buoy takes about 5 minutes to deploy from 200', if the pilot is out of position, it may take ten minutes for a buoy you needed 5 minutes ago. Hence the aircrew is now lost contact due to Pilot error...

Because there is no High Fidelity Flight model does not mean that playing the Pilot in game will not be challenging Yep, consider it the Tactical training vice the procedural training. Whether you fly by the sticks or the mouse, positioning the aircraft and keeping it in the fight is the name of the game, not necessarily being the best yanker and banker.

Beer
Three14

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most modern flying I think that being a good pilot is not essentially about being good with the stick and rudder, but having and showing good judgment. This is what sticks to me most from my (long) time as a student pilot and something I would be loathe to give up. Bad stick may make you look bad or arrive late, but bad judgment can make you dead.

In that sense, a good P-3 "pilot" would be very valuable in DW. Even if the aircraft were fully modeled, to be effective in the game I think I'd want a P-3 teammate who could handle the autopilot with competancy, drop torpedoes with precision, interpret the sonar with skill, and position sonabuoys with uncanny genius. The only times I think I would need a brilliant stick and rudder person is if it is tactically viable to reload and rearm somewhat often, or if it is possible to take crippling damage (which probably could have been avoided with better judgment).

I'll be in the subs, though, if I can. That way I can go make sandwiches.
Rip

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three14 wrote:
In most modern flying I think that being a good pilot is not essentially about being good with the stick and rudder, but having and showing good judgment. This is what sticks to me most from my (long) time as a student pilot and something I would be loathe to give up. Bad stick may make you look bad or arrive late, but bad judgment can make you dead.

In that sense, a good P-3 "pilot" would be very valuable in DW. Even if the aircraft were fully modeled, to be effective in the game I think I'd want a P-3 teammate who could handle the autopilot with competancy, drop torpedoes with precision, interpret the sonar with skill, and position sonabuoys with uncanny genius. The only times I think I would need a brilliant stick and rudder person is if it is tactically viable to reload and rearm somewhat often, or if it is possible to take crippling damage (which probably could have been avoided with better judgment).

Ah yes, I still fondly refer to cheeseburgers as sliders. Always loved the nightwatch, we got sliders and fries more than anyone else. Roving watches would always get in trouble for mulling around the galley too much. Especially during the movie Neutral\
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three14 wrote:

I thought Subs were sandwiches...fresh meat between our Hot DIFAR buoys Rotfl

J/K

Looking forward to DW's release Thumbs Up

Cheers
Beer
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: