Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Another question???

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer for communications?
In game "voice-over-ip" [possibly contribute to lag]
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
3rd part comm software [ $ -monthly rentals]
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 14

Smuook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Another question??? Reply with quote

There has been talk in the forums about Communications for multiplayer games.

One of the DW interviews mention "voice-over-ip" technology built into the game where the game server bandwidth would suck the the communication load. There's alot of factors in that like server location, quality, datablocks, etc... I think the big question there is how will it affect game play... and for player this boils down to how much lag do they experience?

The other option is 3rd party software like Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Gamevoice, Roger Wilco, etc. (which have been mentioned in this forum). This will free the game server load but on the down side... someone has to pay for this.

I like the voice-over-ip idea... it's sounds great... but I wouldn't want to experience lag because of this. I'd rather use 3rd party software.

Just wondering how others felt?

Current costs for 3rd party comm software... roughly about $1 US per person per month (they usually rent in groups of 10/25/75/etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BIOLOG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I host TS server for free. And Ventrillio/Roger Wilko servers are free as well
WasteXTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TS server costs me a grand $10 a month, which I can easily afford. I could probably host it on my own machine, but that's too much bother for right now.
Scion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a moron if you pay for a server. Anywhere. Host it yourself for free and pay $0.20 for the bandwidth....
Smuook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying hosting it from your computer? Or a server you may own? and what type of connection are your talking about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: